Living well with bowel cancer

You can find lots of useful information about living with and beyond bowel cancer on our website.

cyclingjohnny

Charity ride for bowelcanceruk

hi guys I was hoping to do the Manchester to Blackpool bike ride this year for bowelcanceruk, but the three months of chemo meant that I didn't get enough training in so didn't want to commit and fail, with what may or may not be coming down the line for me in the near future I thought that I would attempt a ride from my home to Lytham all around the Fylde coast to Fleetwood and back through the country to home again, It will be about 45 miles in total, my brother Dennis is going to attempt it with me he is sixty six and it will be the furthest distance he has cycled in over twenty years, and it will be the furthest I have done in well over a year, so a little nervous but excited about the challenge, the lovely @marathonlady has allowed me to use her fundraising page that she has set up for her fantastic marathon run, which at the end of the day is all going to the same charity, so all being well hoping to attempt the ride on Thursday of this week, so if anyone would like to donate it would be much appreciated, and this is the link to the donation page take care cheers john, www.justgiving.com/fundraising/kath-taylor2

Liz Blakelands

@cyclingjohnny Well done to you and Dennis, looked like a lovely ride. Ahh the frustration of punctures, particularly on a really quiet bit, so no one going by with a decent pump to help. Great pictures. Have a relaxing few days and feel very proud of yourself :x::x:

Ninatoo

Well done @cyclingjohnny and to your brother Dennis! That is some distance! I had to laugh at your comment about the pump!

I see you wearing 'the socks'! :) I hope they are doing the job!

Nina :x::x::x:

cyclingjohnny

Thank you so much @Ali For the lovely donation, also big thanks for donation @adnil and sorry you need to keep up the shuffling walk for a few more weeks yet,but don't worry I think it suits you, thanks @Liz Blakelands @Ninatoo yes the socks are fantastic and more than doing the job, take care cheers John :x::x::x:

stevejl

Hi @cyclingjohnny congratulations to you & Dennis on your ride yesterday.
Your report bought a smile to my face & the pictures were great as reminded me that back in 1981 I had just started my first job & was on a training course at Preston during the illuminations & on a whim took the train to Blackpool on a very wet & windy night to walk up & down the prom to look at the lights eating fish & chips happy days.
Cheers
Steve

cyclingjohnny

Thanks @stevejl yes I have walked along the prom many times on a wet and windy night eating fish and chips, take care cheers John :x::x::x:

Dawn52

Well done @cyclingjohnny it sounds like you had quite an adventure. Hope you're having a well earned rest today :x:

cyclingjohnny

Thanks @Dawn52 feel really good considering, so gave the car a wash and valeting, take care cheers John :x::x::x:

Lucy118

So pleased you feel good today despite your marathon ride yesterday! I can’t believe you washed and valeted the car today. Let’s hope that it doesn’t catch up with you tomorrow! :x::x::x:

cyclingjohnny

Thanks @Lucy118 it has happened before where it has walloped me two days later,but I have plenty of craft beer pain relief at hand take care cheers John :x::x::x:

marathonlady

Very well done both of you @cyclingjohnny. Enjoy the well earned pain relieving beers :x::x:

cyclingjohnny

Thanks @marathonlady I can hand the baton back to you now and wishing you all the best for the marathon take care cheers John :x::x::x:

marathonlady

Baton accepted @cyclingjohnny with a 22 mile run today. It was hard and I felt tired today…..altho nothing compared to chemo. Hope you’re recovering well

cyclingjohnny

So guys my little bit is done and the baton has gone back to the lovely @marathonlady I just wanted to say a massive thanks to everyone that donated, and also have found the perfect book for my brother, take care cheers John :x::x::x:

bowelbehavingbadly

😂 😂 he might hit you over the head with it @cyclingjohnny

It’s good that people supported you as we all benefit greatly from the forum. Thank you and Dennis for raising so much in addition to @marathonlady who seems to be gearing up quite well given her mileage. I’m sure everyone will agree with me you’re all superstars. 🚴‍♂️ 🏃‍♀️❤️

stevejl

Hi @cyclingjohnny did he write the book?;D;D
Cheers
Steve

cyclingjohnny

Thanks so much for your donation @Duffy Brilliant take care cheers John :x::x::x:

marathonlady

Thanks again all for the amazing support. I ran Southampton half marathon today as part of my training. Got round in 1 hour 44 minutes and 59.6 seconds! (Well according to the chip timer) Super click well organised event. Next stop marathon in 4 weeks time. Hope everyone is as well as they can be :x:

cyclingjohnny

well done you lovely lady @marathonlady are you going to wear something noticeable for the marathon so we can pick you out easily, take care cheers john, :x::x::x:

marathonlady

Thx @cylingjohnny Am hoping a bowel cancer uk vest is on its way to me. 🤞 it fits as if they are too baggy, you get a bit of a painful rubbing situation so I might have to rethink! Hope you are ok after your Christie’s experience :x: