Stage 4 bowel cancer

You can find information about advanced bowel cancer on our website, including our Treating advanced bowel cancer booklet. You can also join our Living with stage 4 bowel cancer Facebook group.

Michelle74

Update on second opinion

Hi all, hope everyone is keeping well. After all the lovely comments I thought I would post an update.

I've been fortunate enough to have Mr Rees from Basingstoke review my scans, etc. Nothing new showed on my recent PET scan so he has agreed to see me, I've got an appointment in Basingstoke on 18th Oct where I will have a CT scan, MRI and consultation with him.

There is of course no guarantee that he will be able to operate and things could change to put a spanner in the works but it feels like a positive step.

Keeping em crossed and thinking of you all as we go through this. :x::x:

ijp30

Wow @Michelle74, that's amazing news! Well done for pushing so hard for a second opinion.

Michelle74

Thank you so much everyone, your support means the world. I know @Lucy118 , there have been lots of (happy) tears here! Yes @cyclingjohnny , very quick, thank goodness, hope you are feeling better, might be back on the train with you after the op. Thank you @Molly2me , yep, it's def paid off, hope you are well lovely โค @Baxter2 What a lovely gentleman Karen, he said he will do his very best for me. Thanks @Wegwe , still can't find the bloody upside down smiley's ๐Ÿฆฐfound half a one though! ๐Ÿฆฑ:x: Thank you @Frances Styles , much appreciated, hope Dave the fake is doing well. He is just doing the liver @louise28 then hopefully back to my local hospital for the primary. @mem thank you hun, hope you are continuing to recover well.:x: โค Yep, @ijp30 , I'm so so glad I requested a second opinion, it's a very different outcome.:x::x:

Lots of love everyone...๐Ÿฅฐ

clarey

@Michelle74 This is such fantastic news ๐ŸŽ‰ :x::x:

Lauralou9

Wonderful news! Fenella Welsh, who works alongside Mr Rees, was my surgeon for 2 :x: liver resections and was just wonderful. Both times I was home in three days. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr Rees as he signed some forms for me to do a clinical trial and I have to say I was a bit starstruck ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚. Best of luck to you. Basingstoke are amazing :x::x::x::x:

Michelle74

Thank you @Lauralou9 , wow that's amazing, home in 3 days! I've upped the exercise and slipping some spinach in my smoothies in preparation, even been on the beet juice, lol! That's funny, starstruck, that's exactly how I feel! I'm extremely privileged to have the man himself look after me. Everyone I've spoken to at Basingstoke have been superb, it all seems to be going a bit too smoothly, I keep expecting to run over a bump in the road but hopefully not!! Take care.:x::x:

Molly2me

Keep those starry eyes ๐Ÿคฉ and a little purr every now and again also helps, just going along the road at the right speed without any sleeping policemen ๐Ÿ‘ฎโ€โ™‚๏ธ thinking of you lovely :x::x::x:

Quote from @Michelle74:
Thank you @Lauralou9 , wow that's amazing, home in 3 days! I've upped the exercise and slipping some spinach in my smoothies in preparation, even been on the beet juice, lol! That's funny, starstruck, that's exactly how I feel! I'm extremely privileged to have the man himself look after me. Everyone I've spoken to at Basingstoke have been superb, it all seems to be going a bit too smoothly, I keep expecting to run over a bump in the road but hopefully not!! Take care.

Peter Crowe

When I had my liver resection in Basingstoke in January they wanted me to go home the day after the operation but I stayed a 2nd night.
Good luck, look after yourself :x::x:

Michelle74

Thank you @Molly2me , how are you doing, shingles all over now hopefully? :x::x:

Michelle74

Oh goodness @Peter Crowe , I hope they don't send me home after one night, I'm quite looking forward to a little break!:x:

Molly2me

Oh thatโ€™s sounds like your treating it as a mini holiday @Michelle74 it must be truly reassuring to know your in a great place and fantastic hands too ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ thanks lovely Iโ€™m all better, even the skin discolouration has gone now, my mantra is, please please donโ€™t come back, ever! Oh just realised itโ€™s the same mantra I have for bc ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ :x::x: so happy for you Michelle :x::x:

Quote from @Michelle74:
Oh goodness @Peter Crowe , I hope they don't send me home after one night, I'm quite looking forward to a little break!

Michelle74

Fantastic mantra @Molly2me ! Glad you are all better, you'll be back in that lake with your lovely grandson soon! Too right I'm treating it as a mini holiday, I'm just getting through half term with a 7 and 4 yr old, I need a few days in bed ๐Ÿคญ :x::x:

Molly2me

Strangely enough I was asked that question today, and right at this min the answer is I honest,y donโ€™t know, I need to feel the need if you know what I mean lol @Michelle74 I loved school hols and hope yours are enjoying theirs too? :x::x:

Quote from @Michelle74:
Fantastic mantra @Molly2me ! Glad you are all better, you'll be back in that lake with your lovely grandson soon! Too right I'm treating it as a mini holiday, I'm just getting through half term with a 7 and 4 yr old, I need a few days in bed ๐Ÿคญ

Michelle74

Yes def, @Molly2me , you have to be in the mood otherwise your hearts not in it. Half term is good, been painting and baking cookies with the little one but poor Frankie (7) has been in bed with a sickness bug, I'm following him around with rubber gloves and bleach! He hasn't been sick today ๐Ÿคž and kept water down so think he's at the end of it. :x::x:

LouLoubelle

That's such good news @Michelle74, you must be so happy. Lots of luck and good wishes for the surgery. โค๏ธโค๏ธ:x::x::x:

Molly2me

Aw thatโ€™s rotten for Frankie, hopefully feeling a lot better today :x::x: they are super ages @Michelle74 and coming out of covid must be a blessing in some ways? I used to cycle so much when mine were that age, and Iโ€™m known as Queen ๐Ÿ‘ธ of Picnics lol :x::x::x: hope itโ€™s a better day for you all, take care lovely :x::x::x:

Quote from @Michelle74:
Yes def, @Molly2me , you have to be in the mood otherwise your hearts not in it. Half term is good, been painting and baking cookies with the little one but poor Frankie (7) has been in bed with a sickness bug, I'm following him around with rubber gloves and bleach! He hasn't been sick today ๐Ÿคž and kept water down so think he's at the end of it.

Baxter2

Well @Michelle74, there's not too long to wait now!

Be clear that you don't feel quite ready for an early discharge (unless you do!) following surgery.

Fenella Welsh is actually married to Merv Rees I believe and looks like they make a great team!

I'm sure you're ticking off those days as we go along.

Sending you lots of love amd warmest wishes,

Karen ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿ’™

Michelle74

Thank you @LouLoubelle , how are you doing hun? Been thinking of you.

@Molly2me , he seems to be much better this morning, going to try a weetabix in a bit. He's asked if we can go to the park today so that's a good sign! Still have a pumpkin to carve that's been sat there since Sat! Yes, it's so nice that the restrictions have eased, nice for them to have some normality back.

I was worried that he was going to miss his best friends birthday at the weekend. They are going to Bournemouth football stadium for a tour, footie and food!! Gone are the days of cheese sandwiches and pass the parcel!!

Thank you dear Karen @Baxter2 , ah I didn't know they were married, yes what a fab team indeed. I keep reading about Merv, I've turned a bit stalker! Not long now, I'm actually quite excited, the nerves will kick in when I walk through the door but I feel very confident I'm in good hands. Happy to be asked to take part in a couple of trials too, one involves taking fish oil supplements or a placebo, all very interesting.

Lots of love all, have a super day.:x::x:

LouLoubelle

Hi @Michelle74, thanks for asking I am OK. I have been booked in for palliative stomach bypass next Tuesday and after that I have to decide what to do about chemo. Go NHS just lonsurf or go private self funding lonsurf plus avastin.
Still not heard anything back from Jamie Murphy at the Imperial hospital. I will give them a call tomorrow as I think they have their MDT on the Thursday.
I hope you got your pumpkin carved into a suitably scary face! :x::x:

Baxter2

Ahh yes, @Michelle74! I was a bit the same too! He really is a wonderful guy and you will be in the very best hands! After all, I flew all the way down to the other end of the country to be under his expert care! When I had my 'iffy' scans from March up until July this year, he was so speedy in looking at them and taking my case to the liver MDT down there (as well as the peritoneal MDT, but that's another story! ๐Ÿ˜‚) I can't praise Basingstoke any more! They are all just wonderful!

Lots of love,

Karen ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’›โค๏ธ๐Ÿ’œ