Stage 4 bowel cancer

You can find information about advanced bowel cancer on our website, including our Treating advanced bowel cancer booklet. You can also join our Living with stage 4 bowel cancer Facebook group.

Baxter2

And another positive CT Scan for me 6 years and 3 months since diagnosis! πŸŽ‰πŸŽŠπŸͺ…πŸŽˆπŸΎπŸ₯‚

Hello all,

I just thought I'd share the amazing news that my routine CT scan last week was a positive one showing no evidence of disease! I'm absolutely thrilled with this news and so chuffed to have passed my original poor prognosis back in Jan 2016 by a few years!

I'm still on continuous chemo of Folfiri and Cetuximab having had cycle number 120 this week! Fortunately, I tolerate it pretty well and have learned to manage the side effects.......I have had plenty of practice of course!

I wanted to spread a little hope and optimism to others, especially those struggling with this dreadful disease, it's treatment and side effects and for those struggling to see a future following a diagnosis. I know only too well how overwhelming this can be at times.

Sending lots of love and hope to each and every one of you lovely forum friends who make up our wonderful community,

Karen πŸ’œπŸ’›β€οΈπŸ’™πŸ’š

Baxter2

Isn't it strange that we often feel a bit better actually starting treatment @Dawn52? I often hear that said and I know for one, I felt the same! Glad your radio is all done and you're now ready to start chemo! I hope it's kind to you but often best to just keep an open mind I guess! Please keep,us posted on how it goes!

Lots of love,

Karen πŸ’šπŸ’›πŸ’œβ€οΈπŸ’™

Susie Ruth

Oh, very slow I’m afraid - a couple of nights back in hospital because of wound breakdown - and STILL not able to drive after three months. Can’t really sit for long - frankly, having trouble imagining ever being normal again. But I figure that is the big adjustment for all of us. Sending love your way - won’t forget your kindness :x::x::x:

Quote from @Baxter2:
Thank you all for the kindest comments! All very much appreciated! 😘

@lilmil - lovely to hear from you! Hope you're still doing well?
@bexly33 - Blooming marvellous achievement! I'm so very happy for you!
@Dawn52 - How are things going for you? Has treatment started yet?
@Ali - Sorry you've been so rough after chemo. ☹️ I've just had chemo today and always feel a bit rough in the evening .What regimen are you on?
@Susie Ruth - What a kind thing to say! Thank you! How are you doing yourself?
@Lauralou9 - Thank you! How are you doing these days?

Thank you for taking the time to comment and lots of love to you all!

Karen πŸ’œπŸ’™πŸ’šβ€οΈπŸ’›

Baxter2

Oh @Susie Ruth, I'm so sorry to hear you're struggling on following your surgery in the summer. I'm not surprised you're wondering if you'll ever feel normal again! I remember that feeling too and I suppose to some extent, you eventually adapt and settle into your 'new normal'. I had different surgery to you but had an issue with my abdominal wound back in 2017. It opened half way up a few days post op. I used to wonder if it would ever close again! I had to have a special vacuum dressing and carry a funny vacuum shoulder bag for weeks afterwards! I did take a good 5 months to recover but honestly, once I did, I've never looked back! Hang on in there.......things really WILL get better but just take a little more time. We're always here for you along the way!

Sending lots of love,

Karen πŸ’šπŸ’œβ€οΈπŸ’™πŸ’›

Susie Ruth

Thanks so much Karen @Baxter2 - relieving to hear. I am a very poor patient I’m afraid as I am usually very active - and relying on other people really hard for me. And so very pleased for you - you, and this site, have been so helpful and supportive. Thanks again and warmest to you and yours :x::x::x:

Chalet

@Baxter2 I'm doing ok thank you, bit late replying. I had a hernia repair and ileostomy reversal the end of September. Thanks to your tips, I was prepared for the many bathroom visits!
Cheryl :x:

Baxter2

I'm so pleased to hear you've had your op done and hopefully you're making a good recovery! Bathroom visits! πŸ˜‚ I spend so much time in my bathrooms, I'm always looking around them for diy jobs that need doing to pass the time! πŸ˜‚. I'll maybe need to have a book available to read instead!

Sending all my very best wishes for your ongoing recovery and lots of love,

Karen πŸ’™πŸ’œπŸ’šβ€οΈπŸ’›

Kim Dazed but Plucky

WOW! Thats the best thing...chuffed for you and yours..

Tons of love and Congratulations.
Kim :x:

Baxter2

Thank you @Kim Dazed but Plucky!

Lots of love,

Karen πŸ’šπŸ’›β€οΈπŸ’™πŸ’œ

kitti

Hi Karen,
Just catching up, this is fantastic news, Im made up for youπŸ’—. Onwards and upwards. Sending hugs and love too :x::x::x:

Baxter2

Thanks so much for your lovely comment @kitti! I hope you're still doing ok too?

Sending lots of love,

Karen πŸ’™πŸ’›β€οΈπŸ’œπŸ’š

annie50C

Absolutely fandabidozo !!! Wondeful news @Baxter2 .. all my love Annie πŸ’•πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

Soo B

That’s fab news Baxter2 it’s always nice to positive news πŸ’•
You were one of the very first members who sent me such messages when I was first diagnosed, 2 years ago now .
It helped me such a lot at such a scary time , always grateful for that :x::x: Sue 😘

angelj

Congratulations @Baxter2 I do love reading your positive update posts, you are the proof that even at its worst you can survive and thrive with this disease :x::x:

Baxter2

Thank you so much for your lovely comments
@annie50C -thank you once again!
@Soo B - Thank you for this and that's so kind of you to say. I hope you're doing ok yourself?
@anglej - thank you! I love to try and picture myself as a cancer 'thriver' instead of a survivor! That's how I view my chemo too..........'chemo thriver' rather than a negative connotation.

Sending love to you all,

Karen πŸ’™πŸ’œβ€οΈπŸ’šπŸ’›

sweetcheeks

Fab news’s beautiful lady @Baxter2
Lots of love
Tracey :x::x::x::x:

Baxter2

Aww, thank you so much Tracey! @sweetcheeks. So lovely to see you popping by! I hope you, Geoff and your son are all doing well?

Sending lots of love, and good health wishes,

Karen πŸ’šπŸ’œβ€οΈπŸ’›πŸ’™

Frances Styles

@Baxter2, this is amazing, what would be your top tips for handling all these cycles of chemo? Love Frances :x::x::x:

Baxter2

Hi Frances, Thank you for your kind comment and question. It's hard to say really but I guess my top tip is probably make chemo work around your life rather than the other way around. I see it as a way of life now and refuse to let it change me too much, dominate my life or stop me doing things I enjoy. As I know my cancer is high risk so coming off chemo is not an option, I choose to embrace it and manage my side effects as best I can. πŸ’ͺ

I've gained lots of support over the years including 1:1 counselling and group work with Maggies, anti-depressant medication, loads of online support and courses to build my resilience from Penny Brohn including five residential experiences there with an amazing group of friends I met on the forum,. I practice meditation, mindfulness and relaxation. I utilise my support networks of friends and family and have regular zoom and other video calls with other 'bowlies'. I facilitate the 'chat together' groups for the charity and moderate the forum as part of a wonderful team too. I'm very involved in family life and love nothing more than having my gang round at ours. I love outdoors so my little dog and little grandsons get me out walking in the big public park every day and I try to swim once or twice a week in the sea or local lochs to boost my mental health and well-being. I love my garden too but not in Nov/Dec,!! I've also recently tried painting by numbers for adults and have now done four lovely paintings and had them framed. Highly recommended as you only need patience and a steady hand without any talent! 🀣. I actually tried to find the PowerPoint I did for a BCUK patients day event in 2018 where I was speaking at a workshop about strategies that helped me cope with stage 4 Bowel cancer but must have deleted it! . Anyway, that's some of what I do to cope with continuous chemo. Phew! Hope you've not fallen asleep reading all my ramblings!

Sending lots of love,

Karen πŸ’œπŸ’›β€οΈπŸ’šπŸ’™

Baxter2

Hi @Frances Styles, It didn't just happen by accident either Frances. I had to work very, very hard at times to build my resilience and still do. I think the emotional/mental health aspect of a cancer diagnosis is so important and worthy of lots of support and intervention as well as massive effort from the person affected. We all have lives apart from cancer too and have to face many challenges associated with it. Mine is my mother who lives alone and has Alzheimer's and this is my biggest challenge at the moment. We all have similar challenges I know......that's life! I've been in a very dark place back in Jan 2016, believe me! I recognise when I'm struggling emotionally and try to take action when this happens.

Sending you and Dave loads of love and my very best wishes,

Karen πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œπŸ’›β€οΈ