Life with bowel cancer

Dan-888

2 Year Milestone reached

Well, I've reached the key 2 year milestone after my main op which removed my single T3N1M0 cancerous tumour with an "All Clear" from a CT scan Wednesday before last.

I had never been all that anxious about the results from my previous tests before, be they scans, biopsies, blood tests etc.
But for some weird reason, this one got to me.
I could not stop thinking about the contrast dye injection, the CT scan itself and what the results might be, right from immediately after I got home from the scan until the afternoon of the previous Friday, when I could wait no more and called my CNS team's number. The lead CNS recognised my voice immediately and after the usual banter, told me there were no recurrent signs visible.

I followed through to the proper consultation last Wednesday to go through the full report as well as having an examination of my abdomen and had my weight taken as well.

Then, as my last colonoscopy (July 2013) found a polyp which although benign and was a small (2 mm) flathead and therefore I had expected the next colonoscopy to be in two years time, my hopes were dashed when I was told it would be this July 2014, just one year after!!! I am not at all keen on the moviprep and the clearing out process before hand! I'm not too bothered about the colonoscopy itself.

Funny. Some would be happier having more frequent scans and tests. I guess I'm just proving we've all got different perspectives on things!!!

I'm to remain on 6 monthly checkups/consultations. The next will follow up on my colonoscopy results then the next on my CT scan in a year's time.

Forum user

Well done Dan-88. Had a major hickup 10 days ago as first w/end away and my partner decided he could drink beer as he used (probably will be able to in time) but a horrible adverse effect. Thankfully last week quite peaceful and this week the line is being put in for the chemo (upper chest) which he is dreading; is it that horrible?

El Ivan

Brilliant news @Dan-888 so pleased for you ?

MaryHB

Yahh @Dan-888 Fantastic news, so pleased for you :D:D
Mary :x::x::x::x:

Smiley2

That's FAB news @Dan-888!!! B)

Pitstop

YEY!! That's great @Dan-888!! :x::x::x:

Rach31

Brilliant news @Dan-888!!! :) :x::x:

CD1966

Fantastic news @Dan-888!

Bear G

Such good news @Dan-888 , so happy for you.
You've made my day!
Big hugs
Bear
:x::x:

Michele

Well done @Dan-888, fantastic news :x::x::x::x:

DianeS

Brilliant news @Dan-888, lovely to hear someones positive news. Wonderful :x::x::x::x::x:

Michela

Great news @Dan-888 !:) :x:

mem

Fab @Dan-888!! Really pleased for you ? :x::x:

Dan-888

Thank you @mem ~ all my heartfelt best to you,
and all reading this.
All the more power to your continued fight and recovery.

Elmac

Hi @Dan-888 - congratulations on passing your 8 year milestone - I reach my 2 years since operation next week - CT Scan and Blood CEA are both clear at the moment so I'm hoping to push on like you
Elaine

Dan-888

Thank you very much @Elmac !
I still feel 2 years as being the main milestone. So well done to you!

As posted on my other 8 year thread, the hardest part for me was learning not to try and aim for targets, dates, etc.
Learning to live for the day, for the moment.
I can not pretend I have not had the doubts and worries that I have a recurrence. Every tinge is highly suspect!
And I have become a bit OCD over bowel movements! Which I have found I can only really mention in a forum such as this. Even with very old and close friends!

Day by day, without even focusing on weeks let alone months, have turned into years.

I have refocussed on doing simple things that brings me pleasure. I feel blessed that I am able to take photos and people are kind enough to pat me on the back, metaphorically speaking, to show their appreciation. Which gives me even more pleasure!

Now, I do have to do a bit of arithmetic to be able count the years! And be glad that a few have found my good news of use for yourselves too!
Just me.

betty26

@Dan-888 Such wonderful news, I’m so pleased for you. đŸ’•

Dan-888

Thank you v much, @betty26 . Everything crossed for minimal side effects for you during your Chemotherapy (until mid-July?).
There will be lots more people who'll be cocooned like we have to be! I used to feel a bit envious of people being able to go out. But only at the early cycles!
I grew increasingly fatigued. But luckily, I didn't have any serious side effects which could not be resolved by my Chemotherapy team's first attempt.