Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

You can find lots of useful information about bowel cancer treatment on our website. You can also get information and support from our Ask the nurse service.

Forum user

TERRIBLE REACTION TO OXY INFUSION

Hi guys, OXY infusion finished yesterday at 2pm home for 2-45, four o clock started to feel really cold like I had been in a freezer, this was accompanied by quite bad shaking and pain across lower back, two hours later this abated and was replaced by hot forehead,face and neck,temp was 37.1 early evening and peaked at 38.1 at nine pm, had a pretty good night's sleep and temp was back to 36.1 which is my normal temp, so trying to get in touch with day unit to see if I should go ahead with CAPE tablets, take care cheers John :x::x::x:

Forum user

hi @Huw McKee totally understand how you feel and you have done so well to get this far, the 20% reduction will likely make a big difference hope all goes well and wishing you well for the future, @Ali sorry about the diarrhoea and certainly not good if you are loose in the afternoons with your infusion being at two o clock, it's really good that you are still managing to do some walking and keep chipping away the 9th of December will soon be here, @MysticLooRoll well done on all the walking you are doing and loving that you are getting your own back on your fella with the toxic farts, keep looking straight down the track and you will soon be at the end of the line, take care cheers john. :x::x::x:

Forum user

hi guys, hope that all of you guys that are on, off or perhaps about to start chemo are doing the best you can, and also hope that @stevejl is doing ok now he is back at home, my symptoms have pretty much stayed the same throughout this cycle and I feel very lucky when I see how some of you guys have struggled, I don't really think that anything I am doing would make a difference to anyone else it's probably just how our body's deal with the poison, my hand and feet syndrome is getting worse towards the end of this seventh cycle which finishes on Monday, so I have sourced some foot cream that has 40% urea in it and I have been using it for three days now and it does seem to be helping, but please be aware that I am not medically trained so can't recommend it, it was a beautiful morning this morning and felt ok so had a 27 mile bike ride, wishing all of you lovely people as good a weekend as you can have, take care cheers john. :x::x::x:

Susie Ruth

Wishing you the all the best @cyclingjohnny - and also @stevejl - hard days, but so glad you both have friends and family there :x::x::x:

Forum user

thanks so much for message @Susie Ruth , how are you managing things at the moment, take care cheers john. :x::x::x:

Ashford Al

Hello guys I'm on folfox was fine till cycle 6 then was paused for 10 days as white platelets down to 82,,,then when I started cycle 6 got stopped half thro as big red rashes came up on my arms so only got 60%,treated with antihistamines infusion ,soon recovered cycle 7 started with the anti sick and antihistamines and steroids with a 25% reduction ongoing chemo treatment all went ok so fingers crossed, take care all Al.

stevejl

Hi @cyclingjohnny @Susie Ruth a week is a long time on chemo as you know & today has been a completely different picture to last Saturday
Diarrhoea has virtually cleared up in the last 36 hours so can sleep all night without a bowel movement which are down to about 3 a day which is the norm for me for the last umpteen years or so.
Appetite back which is great & the weight I lost is staying off as better for my back & knees & can afford to lose it anyway.
So telephone appointment with oncologist Monday Morning to review where we are but bloods booked for Tuesday & IV appointment booked for Weds so looks like as long as bloods ok 3rd cycle to start Weds which as it stands is my final cycle.
It will be interesting to see what we discuss I do when I finish the CAPE to avoid the diarrhoea I have had on cycle ! & 2 so I can stay out of Hospital.
Thanks for all your support
Take care
:x::x::x::x:

Susie Ruth

So great that things have improved Steve - and fingers crossed for good news Monday. Wishing you love and support :x::x::x:

And you too @cyclingjohnny - wonderful to hear you got a bike ride in!! :x::x:

Susie Ruth

Hi there - thanks for asking and not too bad. Just much slower healing than expected - still not driving and still problems sitting. One day at a time! Wishing you every good thing and thanks for your kindness :x::x:

Quote from @cyclingjohnny:
thanks so much for message @Susie Ruth , how are you managing things at the moment, take care cheers john.

Forum user

hi to all you guys on chemo, @Ashford Al I would say your doing just great and glad that the dose reduction has helped and allowed the chemo to continue, @stevejl so glad that the Diarrhoea is under control and also so important that your appetite is back as it's so important, if the chemo goes ahead next week would like to wish you all the very best, thanks for message @Susie Ruth and I know it's a tough recovery road just stick at it, you will get there, so my last day of tablets tomorrow(cycle 7) and I feel lucky to still feel ok, although I have had a very slight bit of nausea in the last couple of days but nothing to be concerned about, appetite is still great, did a 27 mile ride last Friday and struggled slightly in the last few miles but it was quite windy, hand and feet syndrome still about the same, but manageable with the cream,so looking forward to a normal-ish week off treatment wishing everyone on,off or about to start chemo a safe journey take care cheers john. :x::x::x:

Susie Ruth

You are so inspiring @cyclingjohnny - thank you - and best wishes to you and everyone here. Keep going! :x::x::x::x:

stevejl

cheers @cyclingjohnny good to see cycling still going well & you are getting the miles in.I did manage to lift some light weights today as wife says I have a 1 pack now after losing weight so trying to get it to a 1.5 pack :D
Take care

stevejl

hi @Susie Ruth thank you for your kind words.Hope things improve for you soon:D
Take care
sending love & hugs

Forum user

thanks @Susie Ruth for message @stevejl it's good that you are sorting your 1 pack out, it's the first time I have been under 14 stone for a while, anyway went out for a walk with the wife this morning and did about three miles managed ok but my feet felt super hot today and the palms of my hands have gone a purple colour and have just started to peel at the finger tips, so it's probably a good thing that it's my last day of tablets for this cycle, wishing you guys all the very best take care cheers john. :x::x::x:

justhope

@cyclingjohnny those hands sound sore, take care, but I am sure you will be. So glad your on your last day of this cycle it sounds like they are screaming for a break :x::x:

stevejl

Hi @cyclingjohnny good you got a walk in I love days like today cold but dry with blue sky so I had a potter in my garden well wrapped up of course, filled up the bird feeders & checked their water supply was unfrozen as bit of frost this am.
My feet & hands have improved but looks like cycle 3 will start on Wednesday but reduced dose this time suppose better than me taking up a bed on the cancer suite so have the cream ready.
Hope things start to pick up now this cycles tablets finishing
Take care

Ali

@cyclingjohnny you have done so well to continue with exercise and complete cycle 7. It’s so nice on the final day of tablets. I have an alarm on my phone that goes off at 9pm and I just smile when I am in my week off. A bit like when I had to inject myself after my op and they finally stopped. At first it seems you will never get there but then the da6 arrives. I wish you well and hope your feet and hands improve.

Ali :x::x:

Forum user

thanks @justhope yes hands and feet quite sore but hope that the week off helps, @stevejl hope all goes well on Wednesday and that the dose reduction does the trick, @Ali thanks for kind message and hope you are doing ok, first day off chemo so just making the most of it, take care all of you guys on treatment cheers john.:x::x::x:

Frances Styles

@cyclingjohnny, it's such a tough regime, hope things improve and you enjoy you time off, love Frances :x::x::x:

Stella 2020

Hope your hands and feet improving and you are able to enjoy your week off @cyclingjohnny :x: