Stage 4 bowel cancer

You can find information about advanced bowel cancer on our website, including our Treating advanced bowel cancer booklet. You can also join our Living with stage 4 bowel cancer Facebook group.

clarey

Chemo break

Hi I have stage 4 with mets on the liver, lungs and lymph nodes on the chest. I had liver surgery last year but unfortunately it came back there pretty quick and to the lymph nodes. So I went from curable to palliative. Ive been on chemo - folfiri , the last scan was stable apart from lymph nodes which were slightly bigger. I saw the consultant on Monday and a break from chemo was decided as it is taking longer to recover each time, and I feel I live in the loo!! Im to have 1 week of radio on my chest nodes. The consultant mentioned I will be scanned after Christmas - longsurf was also mentioned - which I know is the last resort and Ive heard not very good
I just worried is a chemo break the right thing to do ? I do trust my consultant but surely a break will mean growth! Any advice would be great.
I feel when you move to palliative you are given up on .Thanks if you have read all this !! :x::x:

Lucy118

@clarey, I’m afraid I can’t give you any advice but I just wanted to send you a big hug. I believe there are others on palliative care who have lived for years. Hopefully others will be along soon with advice. Lots of love :x::x::x:

Lirio345

Good morning @clarey, I am really sorry to read all of this and wanted to respond with a few suggestions. Firstly ‘palliative’ these days is increasingly used to mean treatable (as opposed to curable) and absolutely does not necessarily mean end of life. I have been on palliative chemo for nearly six years …….

I think a second opinion might be an idea, just to give you some peace of mind about the proposed chemo break. Have you discussed a dose reduction with your oncologist as an alternative to a break?

Sorry I can’t remember if you are a member of the S4 FB group; there is a small, but increasing number on there who have been on Lonsurf for well over a year (one, I remember for 17 months), and are stable. Take care and let us know how you get on, Kim :x::x::x:

Michelle74

Hi @clarey . I understand where you are coming from, a treatment break is so scary, although, it will give your body a much needed rest and time to recover. However, you have to be completely comfortable with the decisions regarding you care, has the consultant not suggested a dose reduction? It's good that you are having radio, that should zap the little buggers on the nodes. Very best wishes.:x::x: