Stage 4 bowel cancer

You can find information about advanced bowel cancer on our website, including our Treating advanced bowel cancer booklet. You can also join our Living with stage 4 bowel cancer Facebook group.

ijp30

Update on my Mum

Hi all,

I posted several months ago when my Mum was first diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer with spread to liver. She was classed as inoperable.

After 5 cycles of Folfox she has just received the news that she is now operable (bowel followed by liver). We are so pleased and I hope this gives others hope. As you'll see from my original message that I posted several months ago, it was very dark time for us all and not a lot of hope given after her first appointment. Chemo has really turned things round for her.

It has been a tough ride for my Mum on chemo. She has a gene deficiency so started on 50% of the standard dose (to those who ever wonder whether a reduced dose is as effective, the answer is yes). The first one knocked her for six and her second cycle was subsequently delayed. Further reduction of the dose for the second one. Ended up in A&E after the second one (and a further delay for her next cycle) with severe breathlessness (after a short stay in hospital it was found to be nothing too serious). 3rd and 4th cycles went fine, but she ended up in A&E again after the 5th cycle with a high temperature, vomiting and shivering. Chemo stopped at that point to reasses next steps. Anyway, it's all been totally worth it to get to this point.

Forum user

Hi @ijp30 isn't this just fantastic news, and certainly makes you realise that we all have to fight our own corner and challenge consultants decisions, as it seems all to often people are told there is nothing that can be done, well done on your mother getting through the chemo and giving herself a good chance, wishing her lots of luck for surgery and recovery take care cheers John :x::x::x:

Michelle74

This is brilliant @ijp30 , it's so nice to hear of people catching a break with this awful disease and having some good news after such a horrendous journey. But, as you say, irs all been worthwhile to get you here. All the best to your mum for the ops and recovery.:x::x:

Lirio345

This is brilliant to read @ijp30 - and is why ‘never say never’ is such an important mindset to try to adopt. Please stay in touch, Kim :x::x:

Jane39

@ijp30
What fabulous news. I am so pleased to hear the update on your lovely Mum. It sounds like she has had some up’s and down’s with chemo, but with great result’s.
I wish her all the best for surgery.

Take care, Jane :x::x:

Lucy118

This is wonderful news @ijp30. Wishing your Mum all the best for her operations. Lots of love :x::x::x:

SalShep

That's amazing news @ijp30

ijp30

Thanks all for your kind words. We're very happy with the outcome so far.

Lauralou9

Just wonderful news 🥰🥰🥰🥰

Siona

Wow incredible news @ijp30 so pleased for your mum and you. Rough ride but totally worth it !! Lots of love :x::x:

stevejl

Hi @ijp30 this is great news,:D
Sending love &hugs to you & your mum.
" the human body is amazing when it fights back as we refuse to submit to the cancer" this is a lovely inspiring quote from my excellent chemo nurse at my oxy infusion on Monday.
:x::x::x::x:

Baxter2

Oh, this is just wonderful news @ijp30!

You must be over the moon! (Seems weird to be so excited over having surgery but you know what I mean! 😉) Do you have any idea of timescales?

Posts such as yours will give must needed hope to so many others so thank you for this!

Lots of love,

Karen 💜💙💚❤️💛