Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

You can find lots of useful information about bowel cancer treatment on our website. You can also get information and support from our Ask the nurse service.

DFTP

Chemo and Kids!

Evening all,
Husband is day three into his first cycle of CAPOX (8 rounds scheduled). We have a three year old in nursery and a 6 year old in school. How did you manage this? Can they still go to birthday parties, play dates etc? Can I take them to the local cafe? We just don't know if we need to effectively shield for 6 months or if we can do some things with caution. I was thinking about taking them to see Father Christmas I'm December but this might be very silly?! Such a minefield!

ElEff

Hello @DFTP. I did 4 rounds of CAPOX earlier this year with a 5 year old at school. Slightly different circumstances as there were a lot more Covid restrictions then (Apr-Jun).

According to my blood tests, my immunity wasn't knocked too much, but I was still a bit careful (thinking as much of normal colds and bugs as Covid).

I basically figured mixing with school friends for playdates or parties was no additional risk on top of being at school, but relied on people to tell me if their kids were ill if we were planning to meet. A cafe wouldn't have bothered me or a trip to a well organised and not overcrowded grotto but I wouldn't have let them go to a big soft play centre etc.

I did hold my 1 year old off from starting nursery until I finished as she was born just before lockdown and as such had zero immune system (a decision which was definitely correct judging by how much she's been ill since she finally started!)

But it's a personal decision and also depends how hard your husband is hit by the chemo, so maybe take it easy for this first one and see how you go?

Hope he gets on ok with it all :x:

Wegwe

I panicked when the parents of a boy in one of my children’s class sent their kid to school after a positive COVID test (!) because they couldn’t handle him at home anymore, a few days before my 2nd cycle of Capox. ( It took the teacher a few hours before she realized that he shouldn’t have been back in school yet, at which point she sent him home. )
After that episode I sent a message to all parents of my children’s classmates to tell them about my situation and ask them to please inform me if their child had covid, so that I could take extra measures at home. I don’t know if it really made any difference, but it probably didn’t hurt.
Hope your husband doesn’t have serious side effects and certainly no COVID!

DFTP

@ElEff @Wegwe thank you both so much. Some super sensible advice which is greatly appreciated. Without jinxing it....First few days have gone well and side effects are minimal. But of course we all know things change! I might ask both school and nursery to inform me if anyone has a temp....positive pcr or not as I guess a fever is a sign of some sort of bug if not covid.
I feel like my kids are constantly sniffling and sneezing at the moment....I think their immune systems are taking and battering after a year of being mostly protected.
I have 6 hand sanitising stations around the house and walk round with dettol spray like some sort of lunatic! :x:

Baxter2

Hi @DFTP,

Oh goodness what a dilemma! I'm so glad to hear cycle one is done and dusted and ok so far!

I can remember when first diagnosed back in Aug 2015 and starting Capox, my GP advising me to stay away from supermarkets and busy trains! I was given all the standard advice of what to avoid and expect etc and took it all on board (even although this was in pre- covid times) Nobody got into my house until I'd seen them gelling their hands at the door! 😂

Apart from the covid precautions we still follow in Scotland, I've started to venture back into public places including busy trains, restaurants cafes and pubs. In fact I'm just back fro a week spent in Brighton and travelled by train from Fife! I'm still wearing a decent mask and using LOTS of gel and also have my grandchildren (5, 3 and 3) round often. They've been snotty and coughy (not that that's a word! 😂) since going back to school and nursery. Atm, my husband is full of the cold and coughing (not covid) but thankfully I've not caught it......yet! I also do wild swimming in the sea and in a local Loch and my oncologist actively encourages all of this! I should have said earlier that I've been on continuous chemo (Folfiri amd Cetuximab) since 2015 with a six month break for surgery in 2017. Thankfully I live a near normal life.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, there's probably a balance to be struck but I'd always advise you to discuss this together with his oncologist and work out what feels comfortable for you all. Visiting Santa Claus has to me a must!! 🎅. You could buy yourselves some decent masks either FFP3's or 2's to give you both added protection from others especially the non mask wearers or the wearers of manky old masks produced from people's pockets! 😂😂

Hopefully some of this has been helpful to consider.

Sending you both lots of love,

Karen 💙💚💛❤️💜

DFTP

@Baxter2 - thank you very much...a lot of sensible advice! I think we'll corner the onc when we next see him and see what he says - he's a bit of an odd character though! Ultimately we do need a balance but also need to be smart about it.
Very good tip on the proper masks too - I'll get on to my trusty friend, Amazon.
It will be interesting to see his blood results post first round, I guess this might give us some sort of steer.
Happy Thursday to all! :x:

louise28

hi @DFTP i had chemo a few years back with a 10 month old and 2.5 year old. Both of them were in childcare and I didn't change anything really. The pre-op chemo was pre covid. the post-op chemo was at the beginning when the numbers were crazy adn there were no vaccinations.... I didn't do anything different in all honesty. I just kept on with masks and handwashing. Has your husband had surgery already? :x::x::x:

DFTP

@louise28 thanks Louise. Yes he's a little over 7 weeks post op. He had a wretched cold a couple of weeks ago so at least that's one out of the way!! I take his temp twice a day and the kids get doused in sanitiser each time they come in the house. I'm working from home full time so that helps a lot. Life has to go on I guess. Covid is rife in my son's school at the moment but hopefully half term has

DFTP

....sorry, pressed send too early!
hopefully half term has put the brakes on a bit. He's otherwise a very fit man so hopefully we have a slight head start. so much to get your head around!! thanks again :x::x:

Baxter2

Morning @DFTP

I buy the ffp2 masks from boots now. They're pretty good and will give the wearer the protection ( as well as others around you) :x::x::x::x::x::x:

DFTP

thanks @Baxter2 - I'll pop in there later :x:

Wegwe

The official advice here (Netherlands) is that washing hands with water and soap is better than using sanitizer, so at home I would go for that. Sanitizer is useful when water and soap are not available.
Hope you find a balance that works for you!

Quote from @DFTP:
@louise28 thanks Louise. Yes he's a little over 7 weeks post op. He had a wretched cold a couple of weeks ago so at least that's one out of the way!! I take his temp twice a day and the kids get doused in sanitiser each time they come in the house. I'm working from home full time so that helps a lot. Life has to go on I guess. Covid is rife in my son's school at the moment but hopefully half term has

DFTP

@Wegwe - thank you! Will do.