Moving on from bowel cancer

You can find lots of useful information about life beyond bowel cancer on our website, including our Living well booklet.

The Blue RSM

Bowel still struggling

Hi all, I had my surgery 6 months ago, didn’t need a stoma, which I was pleased about. However, 6 months on and my bowel movements are erratic to say the least, I’ve even been caught short whilst out walk our dog and at the weekend I found it difficult to control my bladder after completing a run.
Interested to know if I should be concerned and if anybody else has /is experiencing the same. At first it didn’t really bother me but now it plays on my mind every time I go out.

Liz Blakelands

@The Blue RSM Sorry I can't remember what sort of op you had but I had lower anterior resection (most of rectum removed and temporary ileostomy ) and 6 months after reversal it was still pretty erratic. I found, and still find life is simpler if I don't eat for about an hour before I go out and if I was out on a long walk, I will have a drink but won't eat while I am out. Most times I would be fine but unless I know there are good toilet facilities nearby whatever I am going to eat isn't worth the stress.

I'm nearly 3 years on from reversal and every time I look back over 6 months things are more settled.

If you have an erratic episode think about what you ate before, is it a particular type of food which is causing the problem?

Hope things settle down soon
Liz :x::x:

The Blue RSM

Hi @Liz Blakelands, thank you, I’ll monitor more closely what I eat to try and get an idea if there are particular foods that have a greater impact.
As for my particular operation, my tumour was located in my sigmoid just above the rectum.
I guess I’ll need to add patience to the list of things I’ve had to learn to deal with.

Siona

Hi @The Blue RSM i had sigmoid removed and part of rectum. Overtime the erratic episodes became less and less as I started to understand, food wise, what can trigger them.
Perhaps check also with your consultant if they have any advice, especially about bladder control which seems a bit unusual?
Lots of love :x::x:

Lucy118

@The Blue RSM, it should improve and I have had the same with bladder control a couple of times. It is worth mentioning it to your cn but it sounds normal to me and will improve over time. Pelvic floor exercises should help too :x::x::x:

jupiter20

Hi @The Blue RSM - I had a similar operation to you and my tumour was also in the sigmoid colon. I am now nearly 12 months on from surgery and I have to say I still have similar issues to you. Don't worry about it too much but try and keep a food diary. I have found that eating 'healthy' (i.e. mostly vegan) does not really help. Fermentable food in particular upsets my tummy. Bladder control I've not had such a big issue with but I am a caffeine addict and I'm used to going for a number 1 every 90 minutes or so..!