Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

You can find lots of useful information about bowel cancer treatment on our website. You can also get information and support from our Ask the nurse service.

bowelbehavingbadly

Reversal surgery

Just got date for reversal surgery 22nd December. Excited and scared. Hoping that covid cases don’t escalate to the point this is cancelled. Any tips/advice greatly welcomed. Thank you for your support. Sandra. :x::x::x::x:

ElEff

@bowelbehavingbadly you may be surprised - @JC36 had hers the week before me and was out the next day!

louise28

Hi @JaneL It might be the dairy but who knows. I found it a bit of hit and miss but even being careful I genuinely think the first few weeks by bowel was literally just trying to figure out how to process food. It did settle down but at the beginning I kind of felt there wasn't much I could do other than ride it out and eat lowish fibre and small meals

JaneL

Thanks @louise28 - yes it’s very difficult to know if it’s stuff he’s eaten. How long did yours take to settle? He is 2 weeks post surgery and it’s been worse over the last 3 days but maybe that’s the ups and downs of recovery! :x::x:

bowelbehavingbadly

Thank you. ❤️❤️

Quote from @Susie Ruth:
Best of luck - wishing you everything good - and Happy Christmas!

bowelbehavingbadly
Quote from @cazza20:
@bowelbehavingbadly yes I used Vaseline, and you may be surprised. I was only in for 2 nights think as long as you have support at home they want you out of there!

That would be good but I’ll concentrate on getting in. Covid cases getting scary again with this news variant.

Amanda Sandham

@ElEff fantastic that you're on the way to becoming the new you! Hopefully your bum will be under control by the time you have your Christmas dinner :x::x::x:

Worried_Jay

Fantastic news @bowelbehavingbadly. How long have you had your Ileostomy? I had the water soluble contrast enema 4 weeks ago now and not heard anything from my consultant? When I saw her back in September I did say I wasn’t in any rush for a reversal, I didn’t mean it to sound ungrateful or anything I just meant because of my previous surgeries I wasn’t rushing for further surgery. She kind of snapped and said well she wasn’t in any rush to give me a reversal 😳 :x::x:

Amanda Sandham
Quote from @Worried_Jay:
Fantastic news @bowelbehavingbadly. How long have you had your Ileostomy? I had the water soluble contrast enema 4 weeks ago now and not heard anything from my consultant? When I saw her back in September I did say I wasn’t in any rush for a reversal, I didn’t mean it to sound ungrateful or anything I just meant because of my previous surgeries I wasn’t rushing for further surgery. She kind of snapped and said well she wasn’t in any rush to give me a reversal 😳

I was put on the waiting list on 30th July, had my pre op the week after, then nothing happened. As I spent last Christmas in hospital, I've not phoned to push for a date and will wait until the new year. I do have my 12 month scan booked for 7th December.

Worried_Jay

Hi @Amanda Sandham I spent the whole of the Easter holidays in hospital away from my children I’m kinda of thinking on the same lines as yourself, I’ve not even had any feed back about the water soluble contrast enema, (it wasn’t no where as bad as I imagined) so not even on a waiting list I’m in limbo really. I had my 12 month CT scan brought forward to last month but all ok thank goodness. Hope all goes well for yours :x::x:

Cyclo64

HI All
Just the same as some comments here I had the enema contrast a couple of weeks back got excited and thought the reversal was on the cards especially as I got an appointment to see my consultant. This ended up me seeing his registrar who basically showed me the scans. All is ok but it was a bit of an anti-climax but I realise they are up to their eyeballs in it. The consultant stuck his head around the corner and he was basically doing cancer ops all the way up to Christmas. He was reassuring though and said as far as he was concerned my treatment is not finished until i had my reversal so hopeful for the new year some time.:)
Paul

bowelbehavingbadly

@worriedjay. Thank you for your best wishes. I’ve had illeostomy since op 11 nov 2020. At review in sept I was told chance of reversal wouldn’t be available until summer 2022. Then after colonoscopy mixup I was given date of 22 Dec. Water soluble contrast tomorrow as well as annual scan so feeling anxious tonight. @Amanda Sandham @Cyclo64 I hope you hear soon. Covid seems to be impacting again and I’m a bit worried that my op may not go ahead. :x::x:

Lucy118

Thinking of you tomorrow @bowelbehavingbadly and hoping all ok for your op and also that your op goes ahead as planned :x::x::x:

Molly2me

Not an easy day ahead lovely @bowelbehavingbadly it’s bad enough waiting for dates without the added covid impaction. Let’s get you through today first, Sind get love, hugs and hand holding :x::x::x:

Worried_Jay

@bowelbehavingbadly hope all went smoothly yesterday and you’re not waiting too long for your results. @Amanda Sandham I think I spoke too soon about not hearing anything from the hospital as I received 2 letters yesterday, one for another appointment this time for a vaginogram :x:-ray to check whether my fistula has healed and the other letter to say the water soluble contrast enema looked good no leaks :x::x:

jellyhead

Yes I had the reversal, 3 months in, hard work! So nice waking up in the morning, hand on tummy, no bag, and having a shower , bliss! Not easy , but worth it !!! :x::x::x::x:

jellyhead

It's going to be challenging, you will be fine! You will spend lots of time in the loo! And I mean lots! Buy lots of Sudocrem and Supersoft flushable wipes every time you go! And I mean ! Every time ! You must help your bottom ; in every way! Plus if you have a separate bedroom or space , you need to have your time and don't worry about anyone else!

jellyhead

My way with dealing with all of this! Take one day at a time, also I never delph into the medical side of it, I'm not qualified, but I know when I'm not being treated properly!

ElEff

Just to add my update to this, in case it's of interest to anyone waiting for their reversal - I was quite frightened before mine (particularly because I knew there was a stricture at the anastamosis site) and was thinking of all the worst case scenarios I'd read so I would have been happy to read that it can sometimes be OK.

Everything settled down for me from about ten days after the op. Stuck religiously with the low residue diet for 2.5 weeks, then started adding in veg and salad, and so far so good - nothing has been problematic yet and now nearly 4 weeks after the op I feel like I'm eating something akin to my old diet (albeit without anything *too* spicy so far). Obviously more fibre equals more trips to the loo, and I'm going about 6-8 times a day but I have warning and control and have been out and about the last week without any issues. And thanks to the great advice on here about the bidet bottle and barrier cream, my bum hasn't ever really got too horribly sore, given the circumstances.

The open wound has also healed faster than I expected, which I largely credit to the advised high protein diet, and my nurse reckons it'll be totally closed by about 5 weeks.

I think a lot of this is luck (and probably partly age/fitness as well) but given the infection setback I had in hospital and how concerned the surgical team seemed to be at that point, I've been pleasantly surprised by recovery. My usual mantra of 'plan for the worst, hope for the best' has worked out ok.

I was in two minds whether to post this as know other people have struggled a lot more so didn't want to go 'hey, it's easy guys!', but also I like it when people post positive stories so hope sharing this helps someone who is feeling anxious about reversal. :x:

Lirio345

Thank you @ElEff and @jellyhead for your really helpful comments. I am going to lock the thread now as the person who started it is no longer an active member and it can become very confusing. The comments will still be visible, Kim :x: