Moving on from bowel cancer

You can find lots of useful information about life beyond bowel cancer on our website, including our Living well booklet.

gmg

In the hospital, again

Hi all and happy new year - I am currently in Canada with family where I spent Christmas and New Years after the procedures I had last year. I went to a&e yesterday because of severe continuous upper stomach pain. I had blood works, ultrasound, and CT dcan and was told I had blockage in small bowel due to the adhesions from my extended right hemicolectomy. I am currently in an NG tube for the blockage.

Anyone had this and would be keen to getbyour thoughts. I am not back to the UK until mid January but I've updated my team on this, just waiting on yheir response

Siona

Sending my best wishes for a swift recovery @gmg :x::x::x:

gmg

@Baxter2 i live in the UK but spent chrismtas and new years with fam in canada

gmg

@Molly2me it came without a warning tbh, severe pain I only felt then. Hopefully, I get one of my team in the UK respond today.

Baxter2

Ahh, ok @gmg. I was just curious as your account says Canada. I bet it's pretty chilly there just now!

I hope today brings some response from your team in the U.K. It must be a worry for you but I see you're not due to fly home until mid Jan thankfully! Rest up and I hope things all settle down soon.

Lots of love,

Karen ๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒบ๐Ÿ’๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒธ

Molly2me

Not a nice experience and possibly exasperated by being away from home, although I hope not lovely. Fingers crossed your team get into this soon, I need the meantime keep healing and resting, sending a bundle of positive hugs :x::x:

Quote from @gmg:
@Molly2me it came without a warning tbh, severe pain I only felt then. Hopefully, I get one of my team in the UK respond today.

gmg

@Baxter2 @Molly2me its just unfortunate that my private insurance doesnt cover overseas treatment. just on an NG tube for over 2 days now and the hospital bill is unbelievable! 3825CAD per night. Would also appreciate if you're aware of anyone providing financial support such as this.

Molly2me

Wow ๐Ÿ˜ฒ an added burden and worry @gmg Iโ€™ve pmd you :x:

Quote from @gmg:
@Baxter2 @Molly2me its just unfortunate that my private insurance doesnt cover overseas treatment. just on an NG tube for over 2 days now and the hospital bill is unbelievable! 3825CAD per night. Would also appreciate if you're aware of anyone providing financial support such as this.

Baxter2

Oh gosh, that's a worry for you too @gmg. Do you mean private health insurance or your travel insurance? I'm so sorry but I'm not aware of financial support for this kind of issue but perhaps someone at the hospital can advice you? I wish I could offer more suggestions but I'm afraid I've not encountered this before.

Sending you loads of love and my very best wishes,

Karen ๐Ÿ’๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒผ

Lirio345

Hi @gmg, really feeling for you on the financial side of things. I am not aware of any financial support available, but hopefully someone might come along with experience. You might think about starting a new post with a specific question to catch peopleโ€™s eye. My one thought would be to contact Macmillan and request some input from their financial advisers? Best of luck with this and hope that you are feeling a bit better, Kim :x::x::x:

gmg

thanks @Lirio345 . already reached our to Macmillan.

Jane39

Hi @gmg
I am sorry that you have all this additional worry on top of your current health issueโ€™s.
Hopefully you will hear back from your team.
Sending best wishes,
Jane :x:

jupiter20

So sorry you're going through this @gmg - hope all is okay?

gmg

@jupiter20 i'm out of the hospital now. i've been passing bowel now but still get the stomach pains. hoping it gets better in the next couple of days.

Baxter2

That's great to hear @gmg! Fingers crossed things improve from here!

Sending you lots of love,

Karen ๐Ÿ’๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒธ

Molly2me

Letโ€™s hope your in the right road, been thinking about you and wondering how you got on @gmg :x::x::x:

Quote from @gmg:
@jupiter20 i'm out of the hospital now. i've been passing bowel now but still get the stomach pains. hoping it gets better in the next couple of days.

gmg

@Molly2me feeling better day by day. started soft diet today. :)

Molly2me

Wonderful news, baby steps lovely @gmg

Quote from @gmg:
@Molly2me feeling better day by day. started soft diet today.

Stella 2020

Sorry @gmg just saw your post as I am not on BCUK much nowadays. I had bowel blockage November last year. According to my conversation with the consultant, it just happens randomly and nothing I have done or not done has cause this. So it may or may not happen again. Fingers crossed it wonโ€™t happen to us again. :x:

gmg

hi @Stella 2020 - sorry to hear that. how did your team go about it, surgery? I will be back in the UK next week and will be speaking to my team about this.

Stella 2020

Hi @gmg , from what I heard from the doctors, the management of bowel obstruction is mainly conservative ways and just wait for it to pass itself. Surgery only if the bowel is completely blocked or twisted. Most bowel obstruction is due to adhesion from previous surgeries so more surgery could make things worse.