Stage 4 bowel cancer

You can find information about advanced bowel cancer on our website, including our Treating advanced bowel cancer booklet. You can also join our Living with stage 4 bowel cancer Facebook group.

Barbara

Barbara

Dear Friends, This message is posted by Barbara’s Husband, Ed.

With sadness I have to report that Barbara died on the 2nd January. Many of you will know, that 7 years ago she was diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer. Her death is a direct result from the effects of the illness, which she had at least checked and maintained a good life for the last few years. Eve, Rosa Liberty and I, other family members, and her many friends will miss her very much.

This community was very important to Barbara and the support she has had from friends here has been invaluable.

Over the last few years she has been an active supporter of Bowel Cancer UK and also Yorkshire Cancer Research. We have set up a just giving page to allow her friends to make a donation in her memory:

www.justgiving.com/fundraising/barbara-YCR

www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Barbara-BCUK

As a post script to this message, the treatment and support that Barbara has had from the NHS has been superb: Thank you Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust and The Sir Robert Ogden Macmillan Centre Harrogate, Imperial College Healthcare Trust, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, and St James’ University Hospital Leeds. And also a shout out for the St Michaels’ Hospice in Harrogate for her last few days. The support from individuals and these institutions has been tremendous.

There will not be any more posts on this account but we will be monitoring this and her personal email account over the next few weeks if you wish to make contact either by PM or email.

I am sorry that I have been the bearer of sad news. Barbara's family wish all of you a long and happy life and good friendships.

With best wishes,

Ed

Alanj

Sorry for you loss :x:

waiteh

So very sad to read this. A strong support to so many of us. :x:

rosa123

@Barbara Dear Ed, I am deeply sorry to hear about Barbara. I never interacted with her directly on the forum, but I read her posts and her kindness, generosity and positive attitude really shone through. I was thinking of her at Christmas when I saw her last couple of posts and had been really hoping that things would somehow improve. Sending love and strength to you and your family :x::x:

Diane Marie

So sad to read this :x::x::x:

Bridget55

I am so sorry to hear this. I met Barbara when we were embarking on different trials together at The Christie and been comparing notes with her on a whole number of topics up to the last few weeks. I am so saddened to hear this news. She fought this disease from every angle possible. Sincere condolences to all the family and her friends Bridget :x::x::x:

ElaineG

I am so sorry to read this news. Condolences and love to Barbara’s family ❤️❤️

Tanguera

@Barbara Ed, my sincere condolences. Barbara was an inspiration to so many of us. Lots of love to your family.

Molly2me

I am so sad to read of your loss of @Barbara Ed, take special care and thank you for letting friends know, love to you and your family :x::x::x:

MysticLooRoll

So sorry to read this. Wishing you and your family all the very best in this dark time. Love and healing being beamed your way.
MLR :x:

KarenE

So sorry to read this very sad news. Barbara was such an inspiration to so many on this forum.
Rest in peace @Barbara :x::x::x:

angelj

Very sad news, Barbara was so lovely and positive, RIP :x::x:

Jaap

An inspirational lady. Embraced all the treatments that she received with great optimism. Sad.

Flossie07

I am so sorry to hear this sad news. What a brave and courageous lady she was. My sincere condolences to all her family and friends.

Hans

God bless you all in your loss. I remember a brave lady

Liz Blakelands

@Barbara I am so very sorry to hear this sad news. Barbara was so helpful, brave and an inspiration. My sincere condolences to her family and friends.

charleyb

So very sorry to read this! She was and is an inspiration to so many of us, rest in peace lovely lady ❤️

mem

Such sad sad news. @Barbara and I have known each other since we joined the forum years back. We lived close together too and quite often bumped into each other at the Robert Ogden Macmillan Centre where we both, at one point or another, received treatment under the same oncologist. In spite of her own hair woes, I remember her giving me a ‘wig consultation voucher’ that she had won at an auction which at the time of my hair woes was very much appreciated.

I don’t usually like the ‘fighting’ reference but my God! Barbara took that reference to it’s limits and there was never a stone unturned! She was always very ready to share what she had learned with others too.

Thankyou to Ed for sharing this sad news. My thoughts and love are with you and your family.

We will miss you Barbara 💙:x::x::x:

Titanicgirl

We've lost a great woman. All my love to Ed and her family. ❤

louise28

I'm really sorry to hear this. It's hard to find the words to be honest. I think @mem hits the nail on the head. I dont like the fighting or battle analogies myself, but Barbara showed how to live well with cancer and to advocate for herself and I take comfort and inspiration from that :x::x::x::x:

1234annie

Sending my condolences 😔 :x: :x: