Stage 4 bowel cancer

You can find information about advanced bowel cancer on our website, including our Treating advanced bowel cancer booklet. You can also join our Living with stage 4 bowel cancer Facebook group.

Gary12345

My father's pelvic exenteration today

My dad had his surgery today a pelvic exenteration 16hour operation . The operation went well as for getting out what they could see but told me undoubtedly theirs microscopic cells still left . Cause unfortunately it was very extensive perforated the pelvis and the surgeon told me it was all over pelvis when they went in there . Honestly I was hoping for better news today numbed feeling today ....But I am grateful they did try their very best and done what they could have . And the surgeon was very honest with me over the phone and I asked him whats a good outcome now ?. He told me a good outcome is 3 to 5 years some people get . So now no more treatment . So we're all now focusing on recovery and to try to get the most time and quality of life . I am worried about the recovery if anyone has had this procedure any advice on the recovery?

ijp30

Hi @Gary12345, I hope your dad is doing well after his operation. I bet it was a very stressful day for you and all the family. The key thing is your dad came through a very extensive operation and they got everything out they could see. I don't know a huge amount about this type of operation or the recovery but others have mentioned it in the past so you may see some useful info if you type it into the search bar.

I had quite similar news recently when my Mum had an 8 hour bowel op to then be told that they're not confident they got it all out and microscopic cells are prob still there. It was undoubtedly difficult news to receive so I know how you're feeling.

And who knows what will be possible in 3-5 years time with new treatments etc that aren't possible today. I think we'll see some big breakthroughs in cancer research over the next few years with modern technology and science.

Gary12345
Quote from @ijp30:
Hi @Gary12345, I hope your dad is doing well after his operation. I bet it was a very stressful day for you and all the family. The key thing is your dad came through a very extensive operation and they got everything out they could see. I don't know a huge amount about this type of operation or the recovery but others have mentioned it in the past so you may see some useful info if you type it into the search bar.

I had quite similar news recently when my Mum had an 8 hour bowel op to then be told that they're not confident they got it all out and microscopic cells are prob still there. It was undoubtedly difficult news to receive so I know how you're feeling.

And who knows what will be possible in 3-5 years time with new treatments etc that aren't possible today. I think we'll see some big breakthroughs in cancer research over the next few years with modern technology and science.

@ijp30 Thanks I hope your mams doing good after her surgery πŸ‘ Yeah its horrible to hear bad news especially after hoping your heart away for the best possible outcomes . Yeah its certainly stressfull waiting on surgeryday . But I'm very grateful he had it done despite cells left behind.... Just have to try be positive and focus on recovery .....And i hope we can have a few years of quality of life .

Baxter2

I'm so glad to hear your dad is out of surgery and now recovering @Gary12345. 16 hours is very long time and I'm sure it must have continued late into the evening too!! All very stressful for you waiting for news. I wonder if the best way forward now is to merely focus on his recovery a day at a time which will be challenging enough in itself and not to think too far ahead at this stage?

Sending you youre dad lots of love and all my very best wishes,

Karen πŸŒΈπŸŒ»πŸ’πŸŒΌπŸŒ·

Gary12345
Quote from @Baxter2:
I'm so glad to hear your dad is out of surgery and now recovering @Gary12345. 16 hours is very long time and I'm sure it must have continued late into the evening too!! All very stressful for you waiting for news. I wonder if the best way forward now is to merely focus on his recovery a day at a time which will be challenging enough in itself and not to think too far ahead at this stage?

Sending you youre dad lots of love and all my very best wishes,

Karen πŸŒΈπŸŒ»πŸ’πŸŒΌπŸŒ·

@Baxter2 Hey Karen πŸ‘‹ ......Ya it was a very 16 anxious hours tbh .... But yeah he definitely will be taking a day at a time and hopefully a good recovery ...will be a wait and see type of thing then πŸ™... And as for other treatments i don't think theirs going to be any type of mop up chemo happening because of the kras mutant.......But tbh I'm just glad the surgey went well and they done their very best ......Thanks tho Karen 😊 lots of love and good wishes to you too β€πŸ§‘πŸ’›

Baxter2

Who knows what's possible once your dad recovers @Gary12345? Look after yourself too as it can all take its toll both physically and mentally on both patient and relative.

Lots of love,

Karen πŸ’πŸŒ»πŸŒΊπŸŒΈπŸŒΌ

Gary12345

Thanks Karen I will of course and best wishes to you as well 😊 β€πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œ

Tinkletot

@Gary12345 i had this operation nov 2020. It is a very big surgery ...mine ended with complications so surgery was 22hrs but id do it again in a whim. Recovery is very very hard but u have the right attitude one day at a time and u will have blips along the way but hes come this far well done to him as i know how he must be feeling. And biggest magic mesicine is your support to him. I always say the carer has as bad a time mentally as you so want to make them better and worry. Keep smiling youll get there and dont count years make the years count!!! :x:❀

Gary12345

@Tinkletot I'm glad you're doing well and had a good recovery πŸ˜ƒ.Its seems a rare operation and not many people still active on this who've had it ....How long was it b4 you were mobile?, Thanks for Very true πŸ‘

Tinkletot

@Gary12345 ur welcome yes very hard to find a lot of info. Unfortunately i had a serious complication during op what they call stacking syndrome and was not connected to cancer as such so lost use of my leg and have had to learn to walk again im nearly there 🀞. But if hadnt had that i think prob 10 weeks b4 more norm but it just depends on patient. Its hard and positive attitude is v helpful. Sorry not much help but feel free to message me anytime at all. Hope all goes swiftly

Gary12345

Thanks @Tinkletot will do and all the best with your recovery πŸ‘

Tinkletot

Thanks @Gary12345 its a positive battle 😊. How is your dad getting along?

Gary12345

@Tinkletot Hes getting on good thanks 😊 He had a issue with the flap and a infection so it needed a bit of a touch up by the plastic surgeons but other then that he's actually recovering well πŸ˜ƒ ..How are you keeping after your pelvic exenteration?

Tinkletot

@Gary12345 Aw thats great news well done to him. Lovely to hear. Im ok mine was complicated but everyday i fight back to fitness but i would go through it all again just to be here. As i just had 2 options op or pallative. Delighted to hear ur dads good u will be so relieved

Neil_O

@Gary12345 I had a total pelvic exenteration on 10th January, followed by complications such as Sepsis and the stomach deciding to stop working. Two months later I still feel like I’ve been hit by a bus around the abdominal area, and it’s difficult to sit down for long periods.

I’m only 47, and before the cancer was fit and healthy. It’s a massive operation for anyone to go through and it’s really a slow, day-by-day recovery. I’ve been pushing myself hard to recover, as I really want to get back on the golf course this summer, but I still can’t walk more than a mile before my legs feel like I’ve run a marathon!

Support and a positive attitude is key.