Welcome to our forum

Welcome to the Bowel Cancer UK Community, a place for anyone affected by bowel cancer to talk about their experiences, share their knowledge and support each other. Please read our useful information pages for more information about the forum and Bowel Cancer UK.

jellytot

Hi

I have recently been diagnosed. And have surgery for anterior resection scheduled for next week.

jellytot

Thank you. It’s good to know there are others that have or are going through the same things. Michelle 🌻

Quote from @stevejl:
Hi @jellytot sorry to hear about your diagnosis but you are in the right place for support as we have all been where you are now at sometime or another.
I was scared before my op but in hindsight I had no need to be as my surgical team were great.
I hope everything goes well with your op next week just keep us posted on your progress.
at the beginning after diagnosis there is information overload from everywhere but you can make sense of it on here with the support of fellow BC patients.
sending you love &hugs
Take care

jellytot

Thank you
Everyone seems so lovely
Michelle

Quote from @Baxter2:
Good morning @jellytot and a warm welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find us a friendly and supportive community with lots of knowledge and experiences to share.

I don't have experience of your particular surgery but there will be many on here who do and will be able to share their experiences and tips.

Sending lots of love and very best wishes for your surgery,

Karen 🌼🌸🌻🌷🌺

Jane39

Welcome to the forum @jellytot
I am sorry that you have been diagnosed.
It certainly is a shock and overwhelming with so much information to process.
My first bowel surgery was an anterior resection. It was actually fine despite being very scared. The surgeons and nurses were amazing. Recovery for me was fairly straightforward. It did take time to fully recover … probably a few months.

Some nice loose comfy clothes will be most welcome after surgery. Also a long lead charger for phone /tablet whilst in hospital so you don’t have to bend and struggle.

Good luck and you will find lots of support here.
Jane :x:

Bobs74

Hi Michelle, sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I was scared too but my op (also anteerior resection) went really well, scarring and bowel disruption minimal. I'm on chemo now but there's every chance surgery will cure it for you so try not to worry too much until you know what you're dealing with (easier said than done, I know this so much as I struggle with anxiety anyway). Keep posting here, everyone is lovely! :x::x:

jellytot

Thanks for the advice Jane
Just had a phone call today and they have moved surgery to this Friday. I suppose it’s good in one way, not got to long to dwell on things, just focus and get through the surgery.
Am glad your recovery was more or less straightforward. How long ago was your surgery? And how are you know? Michelle

Quote from @Jane39:
Welcome to the forum @jellytot
I am sorry that you have been diagnosed.
It certainly is a shock and overwhelming with so much information to process.
My first bowel surgery was an anterior resection. It was actually fine despite being very scared. The surgeons and nurses were amazing. Recovery for me was fairly straightforward. It did take time to fully recover … probably a few months.

Some nice loose comfy clothes will be most welcome after surgery. Also a long lead charger for phone /tablet whilst in hospital so you don’t have to bend and struggle.

Good luck and you will find lots of support here.
Jane

jellytot

hi Bob
Yes everyone does seem really nice.
Thanks for the advice. I think your right, I am trying to focus on the hear and now bit, everything else at the moment is just speculation.
How is your chemo going?
Michelle

Quote from @Bobs74:
Hi Michelle, sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I was scared too but my op (also anteerior resection) went really well, scarring and bowel disruption minimal. I'm on chemo now but there's every chance surgery will cure it for you so try not to worry too much until you know what you're dealing with (easier said than done, I know this so much as I struggle with anxiety anyway). Keep posting here, everyone is lovely!
Quote from @Bobs74:
Hi Michelle, sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I was scared too but my op (also anteerior resection) went really well, scarring and bowel disruption minimal. I'm on chemo now but there's every chance surgery will cure it for you so try not to worry too much until you know what you're dealing with (easier said than done, I know this so much as I struggle with anxiety anyway). Keep posting here, everyone is lovely!

Jane39

Hi @jellytot
My first bowel surgery (anterior resection) was in Jan 2016. My situation has been complicated and ongoing - have a read of my bio if you like but remember my case is unusual (click on my name).
Well Friday will soon be here and you are right - just focus on surgery and packing some nice comfy clothes ! You will soon be home and in a recovery phase.

Keep us posted when you can.
Take care,
Jane :x:

jellytot

Oh thanks, yes I will have a read, thanks I didn’t realise you could read peoples info!
Onwards and upwards Jane!
Yes I will post when I can.
It’s nice to read peoples stories, does make you feel like your not alone.
Michelle

Mark McC

Hi @jellytot

Sorry to hear your surgery was delayed , especially when you’ve mentally prepared for a specific date, but good to hear it’s now happening this week. I had an anterior resection in March 2021, and my treatment is now complete (see my profile for full details). The wait for surgery is an anxious time, but trust that you are in the hands of professionals who do this every day. Take a book, download some films and like @Jane39 says take some baggy clothes.

Good luck

jellytot

Books, films and baggy clothes are now on my list of essentials to take with me. Thank you.
Thanks for the advice it’s much appreciated
Michelle

Quote from @stevejl:
Hi @jellytot sorry to hear about your diagnosis but you are in the right place for support as we have all been where you are now at sometime or another.
I was scared before my op but in hindsight I had no need to be as my surgical team were great.
I hope everything goes well with your op next week just keep us posted on your progress.
at the beginning after diagnosis there is information overload from everywhere but you can make sense of it on here with the support of fellow BC patients.
sending you love &hugs
Take care
Quote from @Mark McC:
Hi @jellytot

Sorry to hear your surgery was delayed , especially when you’ve mentally prepared for a specific date, but good to hear it’s now happening this week. I had an anterior resection in March 2021, and my treatment is now complete (see my profile for full details). The wait for surgery is an anxious time, but trust that you are in the hands of professionals who do this every day. Take a book, download some films and like @Jane39 says take some baggy clothes.

Good luck

Mrs ALS

Hi @jellytot just wanted to welcome you and wish you the very best for your surgery. I was having a high anterior resection plus bladder repair almost exactly 2yrs ago. I went on to have 12 rounds of FOLFOX chemotherapy and my scans since have been clear. You've had good advice already regarding what to take. You will be well looked after.
Take care and have a good recovery 😊
Lots of love, Louise :x::x:

jellytot

Thank you Louise. That’s good that your scans are clear. I am hearing lots of positive things from everyone. I know there are going to be some tough days ahead but reading everyone’s stories and comments are a real comfort.
Michelle :x::x:

Jane39

Hi @jellytot
I’m pleased that you have found the forum supportive. That’s what we are here for.

Just a tip . If you put a @ in front of someone’s name, like I have with yours, they will get a notification that you have replied.
Take care and good luck tomorrow.
Jane :x::x:

jellytot

Thank you Jane. Another good tip! :x::x:

Bobs74
Quote from @jellytot:
hi Bob
Yes everyone does seem really nice.
Thanks for the advice. I think your right, I am trying to focus on the hear and now bit, everything else at the moment is just speculation.
How is your chemo going?
Michelle

Hi @jellytot - chemo is going 'well' I guess! Not looking forward to starting Cycle 2 next Friday as feels like I'm getting back on the horse, but the last few days have been good. Keep us posted re how you're doing! Wishing you well. :x:

jellytot

Hi@bob glad your chemo going ok. Like we say. Just focus on the hear and now. Am currently 24hours post op. Laying in my hospital bed. Feel like I have been run over by a truck Apparently surgery went to plan so just need to get myself back up and running ready to face the next hurdle whatever that may be.
Michelle

stevejl

Hi @jellytot hope your recovery is still going well from your op & you are up & about & you are back home soon.
Take care
:x::x::x::x:

Bobs74
Quote from @jellytot:
Hi@bob glad your chemo going ok. Like we say. Just focus on the hear and now. Am currently 24hours post op. Laying in my hospital bed. Feel like I have been run over by a truck Apparently surgery went to plan so just need to get myself back up and running ready to face the next hurdle whatever that may be.
Michelle

Glad all went well - take it one day at a time, each day you'll hopefully feel better! :x:

Baxter2

Great to hear your surgery is done and your now recovering @jellytot! Well done you!

Sending lots of love and gentle hugs,

Karen 🌺🌼🌸🌻🌷

Liz Blakelands

@jellytot Glad to hear surgery went well. Your description of feeling like been run over by a truck is exactly the same way I described it to a friend. I reckon the initial surgery is the worst which is over and done with now, so relax, rest up and allow yourself time to recover.

Gently hug :x::x: