Stage 4 bowel cancer

You can find information about advanced bowel cancer on our website, including our Treating advanced bowel cancer booklet. You can also join our Living with stage 4 bowel cancer Facebook group.

svr

Waiting for chemo

Feeling in despair this afternoon 😢 my chemo (FOLFIRI) was due to start tomorrow and after much chasing today I’ve just been told that my DPD results aren’t yet back despite being sent off a week ago. It was my first session and I was mentally preparing myself only to be told it’s now likely to be next week. I gave been waiting over 3 weeks for the appointment and over 2 months since diagnosis. Now I’m just sitting in tears, sorry for the outpouring but just needed to share

Robbie-C

Try and stay strong!! I’m in the same situation as you etc. One day at a time ! Think positive please, :x:

ijp30

Sorry to hear about this @svr. That is incredibly frustrating when you just want to get on with it. The important thing to remember is that an extra week won't make any difference as it tends to be very slow growing. I can appreciate how you just want to get on and start it though.

It would be too risky to start it without your DPD results being back as that helps them decide what dosage to give you. My Mum's results came back as DPD deficient so they started her on a lower dose (the chemo still worked very well though). Hang in there.

svr

Thanks @ijp30 that’s comforting to hear. I’m pleased to hear that even if DPD deficient the treatment can still go ahead. I just want to get cracking with it and into a routine :x::x:

ijp30

Oh yes, the treatment can still go ahead if you're deficient @svr. It's likely you won't be DPD deficient (only about 20% are I think) and they'll start you on the full dose but it doesn't matter either way. It doesn't have any impact on the overall outcome.

Jane39

That is very disappointing @svr
I completely understand that you want to get on with treatment, but it has to be safe.
Next week will soon be here - hopefully you can do something nice between now and then.
Take care
Jane :x::x::x:

svr

Thanks @Jane39 I know you are right and it’s not long to wait in the scheme of things. I’ve calmed down now, was just a bad day as also 3 years anniversary of losing my dad. Thanks for your kind reply :x::x:

Jane39

@svr
Bad’s days are more than acceptable. I am sorry to hear of the anniversary of the loss of your Dad. Difficult to deal with along with everything else.
Take care, Jane :x::x::x: