Coronavirus support

You can find all of our latest coronovirus information on our website at www.bowelcanceruk.org.uk/coronavirus

Indigo

Covid and new ruling

Afternoon! Does anyone understand the new rules that will potentially come into place. I understand that people will be allowed to roam freely with covid but will the rules for chemo patients change in line with this. We have had a couple of years petrified that my husband will get covid during chemo, surgery etc and have kept our daughter off of school on and off until recently when cases have occurred. Not only am I now worried that there won’t be control re covid, he’s now on chemo and antibodies, but I’m also worried that his treatment will be delayed if he were to get covid. Will hospitals allow chemo patients to continue with treatment in an isolated room if they feel their bloods are ok? I find this new ruling really difficult to understand. I get it works for the general public and I know that there is potentially a need to ‘move on’ but there are people in the hospital that are very ill and am sure that effects of my husbands chemo will start to accumulate. He’s only had 1 of 6 and we are going to need at least 2 rounds. Would really appreciate anyone else’s view and thoughts. It just brings more worry as far as we are concerned!

Mark McC

Hi @Indigo , yes very confusing messaging that’s trying to be one size fits all. Also appreciate your concerns, my wife kept me in confinement last year while I was on chemo.

I can only suggest checking macmilllans website or giving them a call, they’re always helpful, see what the NHS website is saying as well, but probably best to discuss things with your hospital / chemo suite, oncologist and care team.

Has your husband had all 4 of his Covid jabs ?

Sorry I can’t be more help, keep safe and good luck.

Baxter2

Good morning @Indigo,

I've been feeling a little concerned regarding this new ruling just like you. I think this is applies to England only (at the moment) and I'm in Scotland. I've also felt very concerned over the last two years about catching covid. More recently however, I've felt more confident following the successful uptake of the vaccine in this country. I feel more reassured having had four vaccines now. My mum has very recently moved into a residential home and she and at least 29 of the 45 residents got covid just after Christmas. None of them were particularly unwell. Another thing I find reassuring is the availability of anti-viral medication (oral and IV) for those of us who are clinically extremely vulnerable should we test positive on PCR. I will continue to protect myself by always wearing an FFP 2 mask in indoor public places and continue with careful hand hygiene. I'm on continuous chemotherapy so will always be vulnerable to infection.

I hope you manage to feel more confident going forward but perhaps your husband can have a good chat with his Oncologist and chemo nurses to help reassure him a little more.

Sending you both lots of love,

Karen 🌺🌼🌻🌸🌷

Indigo

Thank you so much, I completely get where your wife is coming from. It’s really worrying having these extra factors to think about.

James has had the 4th jab so actually he’s in a much better place than last year in that respect. I will call MacMillan, that’s a really good shout and will speak to the team too. Hope you are keeping well and out and about now. I think I just feel like it’s been ups and downs and it’s very difficult to keep absolutely calm with all of these extra factors.

Quote from @Mark McC:
Hi @Indigo , yes very confusing messaging that’s trying to be one size fits all. Also appreciate your concerns, my wife kept me in confinement last year while I was on chemo.

I can only suggest checking macmilllans website or giving them a call, they’re always helpful, see what the NHS website is saying as well, but probably best to discuss things with your hospital / chemo suite, oncologist and care team.

Has your husband had all 4 of his Covid jabs ?

Sorry I can’t be more help, keep safe and good luck.