Stage 4 bowel cancer

You can find information about advanced bowel cancer on our website, including our Treating advanced bowel cancer booklet. You can also join our Living with stage 4 bowel cancer Facebook group.

mem

8 years!!

Hey all!

Well, thought I would update you all on my 8 year cancerversary! Doesn’t time fly when you’re having fun, eh?!

So after having (here we go again 🥱):

5 days targeted radiotherapy

3mths capox

Low anterior resection with Ileostomy

Liver resection

3mths 5FU

Ileostomy reversal

3 lung resections 

2 lung ablations

Gamma Knife for brain blob

Maintenance Folfiri + Cetuximab 

Front right craniotomy for the re-grown brain blob (rude 😡)

I have now got secondary bowel cancer in my left mandible (Jaw/gum) which I’ve just literally had a radiotherapy blast to help with the pain I was suffering. By all accounts, it is very very rare to get secondary BC in this area so I’m feeling a little bit special 😉, It will probably be at the end of my nose next!

I have also been discharged from my oncologist as it was deemed, due to my recent brain op and mobility etc, that chemotherapy is no longer suitable for my situation, and unfortunately my brain blob has not been completely removed either (near as damn it though so it was still very much worth having it done).

After a lot of soul searching, talking with husband, daughter, family and friends and feeling a tad treatment-out, I have now decided that palliative care is the best way forward for me which I’m sure you can all appreciate was not an easy decision to make and except, but ultimately, It’s about that balance of feeling ok and being able to live life in the best way possible. I am currently under an amazing palliative care team who do 100% ‘get it’ which in our game goes a long long way, doesn’t it?

I know I am not in the best position and my relentless cancer is slowly but surely creeping up on me more and more each month, but come on! 8 years! Just wow! I still feel very very fortunate to have got to 8 years after being diagnosed as a stage 4er and where possible I still try to live my best life, day by day and here’s very much to my 9th year update too 😉!

Anyhoo, thankyou for reading (if you have 🥱 ) and I send my love to all of you lovely lot ♥️

Marie :x::x:

P.s. I will still be pestering you all on the forum as this has, and still is, one of my life-lines. If there is such a thing as a silver lining in all this then it would be about all the wonderful people I’ve met on here, some of which I now class as fantastic friends 💕 :x::x::x:

stevejl

Hi @mem so sorry to read your latest update.I am certain the world has been a lot better place with you in it & lets hope your fight carries you through to more cancerversarries on here & I look forward to reading those as well.
sending love & hugs
take care
:x::x::x::x:

angelj

Hi @mem it’s always wonderful to see your posts. You are a force to be reckoned with and a beautiful soul, I congratulate you on the 8 year anniversary. Wishing you the very very best :x::x:

El Ivan

@mem you have given me so much support and encouragement over the last 8 years Marie and kept a smile on my face with your wit and humour. You will definitely be posting about your 9th and subsequent anniversaries of that I have no doubt. You’ve picked me up when I was down and had me in fits of laughter, when the last thing I felt like was laughing. We’ll definitely get that meet up for sherry and canapés this year! You’re an inspiration to so many folks on here Marie, catch you soon. Lots of love, Ivan. Keep on keeping on .. :x::x::x::x::x:

jupiter20

You are such an inspiration @mem - sending you lots of love :x:

Clancy1

@mem, I have visited this post numerous times and I can only add to what everybody else has written. You have been so supportive even when going through it yourself. We all love you Marie and very much look forward to your 9 year milestone. Lots of love, Ann Marie.:x::x:

Ali

Wow yes truly a legend and inspiring for others of us who may have to go through the same. I wish you all the best with your palliative care. 😘:x::x:

Ali :x::x:

HH79

Hey Marie @mem wow, 8 years! That is amazing. You have always helped so many on here and hopefully we can help you now in saying thank you for sharing this latest news. What an incredible post, heartbreaking of course because everyone would want there to be something else to try but also a very inspiring, brave post in sharing these decisions and resolutions that need to be made. I’ve everything crossed that can be for a smoother time now and that you and your family get to have many more special days together and memories made. We can make a memory any day can’t we, it is so true the small things and little moments, conversations are what is held dear and remembered. Make sure you let people know how to help and support through this time and your plans for how to mark 9th year! Lots of love to you and your family :x::x:

clarey

@mem You are amazing and such an inspiration to all of us. Sending hug and love :x::x:🤗

mem

Hi all ☺️. More lovely, supportive, messages in spite of what you’re all going through yourselves. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate every single word: @stevejl, @angelj, @El Ivan (what you’ve said SO works both ways Ivan and big yes to Sherry & canapés too. Look forward to it matey )@jupiter20, @Clancy1 (lovely to hear from you Ann Marie ) @Ali, @HH79 (“a memory a day” love that Helen and so true) and @clarey. Big big thankyou again and love to you all 🥰 :x::x::x:

Rach

Darling Marie @mem. I don’t often look on here now but you popped into my thoughts today. And here you are.

Wow, 8 years. What a truly inspirational lady you are. You were one of the first people to contact me when I first joined back on 2015. Your words of comfort and support carried me through some of my darkest times. People like you are what makes this forum a truly remarkable place.. Marie, you are a truly beautiful lady, inside and out, and I send you and your family my love and I hold you close in my thoughts. Here’s to year number 9 :x::x::x::x:

Ange1974

What a fabulous inspiring lady you are and just what people just diagnosed are looking for when they need hope . Hubby’s oncologist phoned him the other day and said ‘u know you are coming up to 6 years now , it’s my job to get u another 6!’ :x::x::x:

Hismom

@mem, thanks for your life, you exemplified that the journey isn't over with a diagnosis and should be treaured. I wish you wonderful days of best life. :x::x::x:

mem

Ahh, Rach, thankyou so so much for your lovely message gorgeous girl. What lovely words and it means so much to me that I made a difference (for the good😉) to your bowel cancer experience. If I remember rightly, it was much much vice versa with you too. Hoping you and your lovely family are all well and it is so lovely to hear from you. Loads of love. Marie 💕

Quote from @Rach:
Darling Marie @mem. I don’t often look on here now but you popped into my thoughts today. And here you are.

Wow, 8 years. What a truly inspirational lady you are. You were one of the first people to contact me when I first joined back on 2015. Your words of comfort and support carried me through some of my darkest times. People like you are what makes this forum a truly remarkable place.. Marie, you are a truly beautiful lady, inside and out, and I send you and your family my love and I hold you close in my thoughts. Here’s to year number 9

mem

Thankyou @Ange1974 and @Hismom for your lovely messages too 😘😘. It continues to mean a great deal to me :x::x:

Ashford Al

Wow Mem ,you are an inspiration to us all I don't think I could go thro all the trauma you have I salute you God bless you ,Al

mem

@Ashford Al Thankyou 😘 :x::x::x:

Leaguefan

Oh @mem
What a brilliant post and very moving at the same time. That you have been through all that and still have such, to me, a positive attitude with a sense of humour is wonderful.
I should imagine the decision you made was not taken lightly but with love care and feeling for your family and friends plus your stint on the forums.
It’s inspiring to many I suggest.
Everyone you know plus of course the forum will be wishing the best for you and yours and as you say your palliative team get it.
Just wish the best and keep going.

mem

Thankyou for such a lovely message @Leaguefan 😘😘 :x::x:

Lexi

@mem Dearest Marie, you are such an inspiration to so many I am really lost for words which does not happen very often but so many inspirational posts for a very special lady! Sending you all my love with a special thanks for all time and effort you have given to each of us 💖🥰

Molly2me

@mem the stepping stones of life are precious and none more so than making such decisions. You are blessed with fantastic family and friends and their love surrounds you ❤️ I hope you have many of these to share as your fight with this disease has been incredible, I hope your 9th year anniversary glows brightly as you are a ray of light for so many ❤️ 🌈 ☀️ 🌟