Just diagnosed

If you've recently been diagnosed with bowel cancer, our website has lots of information to help you understand more and get the support you need.

Beth B

So much for thinking I had hemorrhoids!

Blood found in my home bowel screening test. Not having needed to see a Dr since 2015 getting a phone call from Bowel Screening with an appointment at hospital for blood tests to colonoscopy and a cancellation for a CT scan with an MRI scan in the coming week, everything moving fast. I ask myself, what have I done or not done to have this thing living inside me. Faith and Hope are my best friends just now........Thank you for this group and for reading my post. My best wishes to everyone going through this first stage and forward...........

Baxter2

Hello @Beth B and a very warm welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find this a friendly and supportive community with lots of knowledge and experience to share.

This stage is a very difficult one and processing all this new and scary information can seem very daunting. I think many of us will have asked ourselves similar questions. Have you been told you have a bowel tumour then? If so, they will be collating all the available information from the investigations.you'll then be discussed at an MDT and hear what the proposed treatment plan is for you. None of this is easy but you're in good company here. We'll all be here for you, just as others have been for us, as you move forward. Please ask anything at all!

Sending lots of love,

Karen 🌻🌺🌼🌸🌷

Tinker

Hello Beth B, after I was diagnosed with colon cancer last May, I decided to look upon my tumour as a wee dormouse nesting in the wrong place. It sounds very whimsical but it worked for me, as I didn't want to visualise it as aggressive or something to be battled with. My surgeon removed the dormouse & surrounding lymph nodes last September. The operaation was successful although the recovery was arduous. Feeling much better now and seeing my surgeon on Monday for a six months check up.
Blessings on your journey.
Susan [Tinker].

Liz Blakelands

@Beth B Hi and welcome to the forum but very sorry that you find yourself here. You really are in the most difficult stage now waiting for results of scans and for the medical team to present the proposed plan. Not to mention the actual shock of the diagnosis and the why me question. It just happens. Took me quite a while to accept that. Really fit and healthy and it just happens.

Try to keep busy and do things that you like, treat yourself, and please keep in touch.
Big hug
Liz :x::x:

mumcat

So sorry. Exactly the same happened to me. And yes I got to my 70th year feeling fit & healthy. Exercising & a great diet. Into all kinds of treatments now. I just have to accept…it happens & get on with it. Forums like this help & there are some really inspiring women on Instagram.

Ali

@Beth B sorry to read your story. Were you given a diagnosis following your colonoscopy? If not I would wait and see what is said and take it from there. This is the most worrying time both physically and mentally unfortunately. A lot of us ask ‘why me’ but why not? It is 1 in 2 these days who are diagnosed with cancer. I read something written by Arthur Ashe the tennis player which gave a good view on his diagnosis of AIDS that he contracted following a blood transfusion. Summed it up perfectly for me. You can find it by googling Arthur Ashe why me.
This forum is a great source of support and I hope you keep us updated. All the best

Ali :x::x: