Younger people with bowel cancer

You can find lots of useful information for younger people on our website, as well as details of our Never Too Young campaign.

theCword

Newbie alert, hello peeps

Hey!
Single mum 40, two teens, I’m finding this journey lonely ( have amazing friends, just none with cancer also)
So finally found something interactive.
My journey…. Was told dec 5th, chemo cycles done waiting on my chemo radio to start 11th April. I’m scared obviously how have any of you found things?

Mark McC

Hi @theCword

This journey is indeed lonely, even with family and friends around you, as no one can really appreciate the physical, emotional and general mental weight that comes with it, so this is a good place to share and find support.

Strangely I wasn’t really scared, more anxious, as during treatment there was always the next appointment or op or chemo session to focus on and I just tried to cope with today and not worry about tomorrow or next week.

Everyone’s experience is different but it is all doable and worth it..

Best of luck

theCword

@Mark McC thank you for your reply. Good way to look at things will defo take one day at a time.

Lirio345

Hi @theCword, a very warm welcome to the forum although I am so sorry to read about your diagnosis. I am sure that you will find lots of support, experience and understanding on here.

I think a lot would agree that it can be very lonely having cancer, but that is why this forum is so great, - we all get it.

I don’t know if you have used the search box above but there are lots of former posts on chemo radiotherapy which may be of help.

Also I wondered whether joining a chat together group (zoom meetings) might be of interest. They are brilliant for putting people in touch with each other, - link below.

Anyway please take care and ask any questions you wish! Kim :x::x:

www.bowelcanceruk.org.uk/how-we-can-help/supportevents/chat-together/

Liz Blakelands

@theCword Hi and welcome to the forum. No matter how many friends and family you have supporting you there is nothing quite like someone who has actually experienced the bowel cancer rocky road. On the forum there is usually someone who can answer a specific question and it is also a place where you can be really honest which sometimes you can't with the people who are nearest to you.

As @Mark McC says just deal with today, stay in the moment, no-one knows the future.

Best wishes for the treatment on the 11 April :x::x:

theCword

Thank you for the welcome and great advice. Gonna check out previous posts for sure. :x::x:

theCword
Quote from @Liz Blakelands:
@theCword Hi and welcome to the forum. No matter how many friends and family you have supporting you there is nothing quite like someone who has actually experienced the bowel cancer rocky road. On the forum there is usually someone who can answer a specific question and it is also a place where you can be really honest which sometimes you can't with the people who are nearest to you.

As @Mark McC says just deal with today, stay in the moment, no-one knows the future.

Best wishes for the treatment on the 11 April

So glad I posted already feel understood on my journey :x:

Baxter2

Hi @theCword and another warm welcome to the forum from me too!

Im so sorry to read of your diagnosis and can remember feeling the 'loneliness' you describe in the early days. I just felt so different from everyone else. You now have a large community you can be part of and there's are many who are young like you with little children and teenagers. It's not bloomin fair is it? I've met so many lovely people on this forum over the years and some who I consider really good friends. We've even met up at BCUK events pre covid and also at Penny Brohn (a wonderful cancer charity for you to check out) residential courses/retreats. You're in good company here!

Sending you lots of love,

Karen 🌺🌻🌸🌼🌷

theCword

Thank you so much for reply karen