Just diagnosed

If you've recently been diagnosed with bowel cancer, our website has lots of information to help you understand more and get the support you need.

blamelouis

Newly diagnosed

Hi all

I have just been diagnosed today I was brought in and told I have a bowel tumour which has metastasised to both lobes of my liver and I am incurable. They will organise a meeting with the chemo team and I will discuss treatment shortly. I am 55 and they kept saying you look fit and healthy ?

To say I’m devastated is an understatement my partners life has been shattered and I’m numb.

Just looking for a chink of light .

Thanks all.

Baxter2

Good morning @blamelouis and a very warm welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll find us a friendly and supportive community with lots of knowledge and experience to share.

I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis today and it's little wonder you feel devastated and numb. It's a huge deal to be told this and I'm sure most on here can relate to these feelings too. You're in very good company here for sure.

Firstly I'd say, the days to come will probably be pretty challenging for you both as you process this information. I'm not sure if you have further investigations coming up? The charity's publications (top right of page) are really helpful as you navigate this new world of bowel cancer where you'll learn lots of new information and terminology. Sometimes during these very early days, the very best you can do is literally take one day at a time.

I just wanted to give you some hope too.......I had a liver met and peritoneal mets diagnosed Jan 2016 and was also told incurable and inoperable. To cut a long story short, I sought second opinions for both oncology and surgery and had two major ops in spring 2017. Once recovered, I've been great and living a near normal life albeit on continuous chemo. Please have a read of my profile (but grab a cuppa first as it's quite long!!) Also, please get back to me with any questions and I'm sure you'll soon hear from others offering their support too.

Sending you both lots of love and my very best wishes,

Karen 🌺🌻🌸🌼🌷

Lirio345

Good morning @blamelouis, a very warm welcome to the forum, but I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

Maybe the first thing to say is that incurable does not mean untreatable. I was diagnosed at stage 4, with spread to the liver in Jan 2015. I have also been on permanent treatment since January 2016 and lead a modified but near normal life.

You really need to be kind to yourselves as processing this diagnosis take time, but it will happen. Bizarrely most people feel better once they have a treatment plan.

You have already received some great advice from Karen above but I wanted to welcome you as well.
Please stay in touch and ask absolutely anything you wish, Kim :x::x::x:

blamelouis

Thank you both for replying and having such positive stories. I have a PET scan on weds and then a meeting with oncology following week so fingers crossed that there’s some ray of hope generated.
Thank you both again.
Fred.

possum

Hello @blamelouis I have also been recently diagnosed, and although we’ve got different diagnoses I can relate to the shock and deep fear. It’s a real blur and hard to take on. I just wanted to send love and say you are not alone.

Liz Blakelands

Hi @blamelouis A warm welcome to the forum but so sorry for your diagnosis. The bombshell of the diagnosis is truly awful, the confusion of feelings, numbness, disbelief. Hopefully the forum will provide the chink of hope as there are several members who are living a good life several years after been told they are incurable.

Please believe me when I say that once a treatment plan is in place things get better. While you are waiting for results, do some things you really enjoy, be kind to yourself.

Massive hug, please keep in touch
Liz :x::x:

blamelouis

Thanks Possum and Liz ….means a lot to know your not alone and that some people end up in a better place after treatment.
Thanks
Fred.

Jane39

Another warm welcome @blamelouis
I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Its such a shock and takes time to process.
I had an incurable diagnosis in 2017 but I am now in remission.
There is always hope.
Best wishes with the PET scan and oncology appointment.
There is always lots of support and experience here for you.
Jane :x:

blamelouis

Thanks Jane good to hear of your turnaround it’s stories like yours that gives me hope …thanks
Fred.

Quote from @Jane39:
Another warm welcome @blamelouis
I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Its such a shock and takes time to process.
I had an incurable diagnosis in 2017 but I am now in remission.
There is always hope.
Best wishes with the PET scan and oncology appointment.
There is always lots of support and experience here for you.
Jane

foster mum

@blamelouis ,and yet another warm welcome! You really are in the worst place to be at the moment. We all understand exactly how you are feeling, but as you have previously been told, once you have had scans etc and have your treatment plan in place, you will feel so much better. Take care and good luck, Vivien :x:

blamelouis

Thanks Vivien

Quote from @foster mum:
@blamelouis ,and yet another warm welcome! You really are in the worst place to be at the moment. We all understand exactly how you are feeling, but as you have previously been told, once you have had scans etc and have your treatment plan in place, you will feel so much better. Take care and good luck, Vivien

blamelouis

Just an update …met oncologist and being started on Cetuximab and Folfiri 11th may … just hoping I respond well now .

blamelouis

Hi all …So picc line in today went smooth didn’t feel a thing bloods ok and ECG ok ..so treatment starts tomorrow…scary but glad to get going. Hope side effects aren’t too bad

Liz Blakelands

@blamelouis Hope all goes well with the chemo starting. Don't forget you have a very skilled team looking after you and you will be given a chemo hot line no you can call if start to feel unwell. Fingers crossed it will fine, all the best, Liz