Coronavirus support

You can find all of our latest coronovirus information on our website at www.bowelcanceruk.org.uk/coronavirus

Amo3

Covid whilst on chemo?

Hi all, Im hoping for some reassurance here I suppose. My partner is currently on Folfox and Cetuximab and has been for some time with very good responce. However, today he has tested positive for Covid. I tested positive 2 days ago. We dont live together all the time as I work in Wales while he works in England, but we had spent the Easter weekend together. I feel awful about ‘giving’ him Covid as we have been extremely carefull and have managed to keep him safe throughout until now 😔.
Currently he is feeling fine appart from a tickly cough. He has had 4 vaccinations already, the most recent in February. His local trust have been on the ball today and he will receive a 5 day course of oral Anti-virals tomorrow. He would have been due treatment tomorrow so I suppose his immune cells are at their ‘highest’ if thats going to be of any help.
I suppose Im looking for reassurance from others that may have been in this position? Im trying not to get myself worked up but its quite difficult when Im not there with him just now 😢.
Thanks for any word to put my mind at rest (hopefully 🙈)
A :x:

HH79

Hi @Amo3 dont worry but do get him to have the anti virals. I had covid recently whilst on Folfoxiri and called 111 as weekend (think your GP will do it) and GP called and referred me. Booked in two days later by local hospital. Fabness and the anti vitals made me feel SO much better (I was mainly just fatigue & headaches but who knows, had i not had them, could have got worse?) Need to have within 5 days of positive test / symptoms so call tonight to get sorted. It’s so nice for us Chemo patients to get a ‘I feel so well!’ vibe and can’t recommend them enough :x::x:

Amo3

@HH79 Thank you so much for replying! He tested positive this morning and I made him ring his GP immediately, the GP refered him and someone turned up at his door within a couple of hours with a Sats probe telling him he was now on a ‘virtual’ ward……..who knew such a thing existed 🤷🏻‍♀️! Fab service! Someone then called him and he is going to get the Anti-viral tablets tomorrow, so hopefully they will help. I must say Im pretty impressed with the NHS’s speed on this!!
Glad you didnt get too poorly with covid, its just so worrying isnt it!

HH79

This is all fab! @Amo3 well done! All be fine, remember the Covid about now isn’t the moody one two years ago (touch wood!) and we’ve all had vaccines etc. That said, always good to take any precaution can to avoid serious illness anomalies / long covid which you’ve done. :x::x:

Amo3

Hi @HH79 , thought I’d quickly update, so my OH had the anti virals and has astonishingly tested negative today on day 5 while I continue to test positive although he originally tested positive after me 🙈. So it seems the anti virals might well have worked wonders on him, which I am extremely greatfull for! He still has a day’s worth of tablets to go but all in all he has been ok and got away with only a few mild symptoms. Big shout out for the anti virals from us 👍😀