Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

You can find lots of useful information about bowel cancer treatment on our website. You can also get information and support from our Ask the nurse service.

smartemarte

Constant sickness and stomache cramps after capecitabine

Hi everyone , my mother in law has just started her first cycle of capecitabine and she's not dealing with it very well. She's constantly feeling sick/throwing up and has stomache cramps. She's not constipated and having loose poo's I'm just wondering if anyone else has had similar to the same extent and how we could try and manage it for her ?

She's taking anti sickness tablets 3 times a day we have anti sickness wrist bands and some cbd oil but it doesn't seem to be working. She's got some ginger biscuits and we're going to try boiling some ginger root for her to drink.

Unfortunately she's been told this is only to buy a bit of time but I don't understand how she can enjoy living like this :(

Thanks for taking the time to read

Lirio345

Good morning @smartemarte, a very warm welcome to the forum although I am sorry to hear of your mother in law’s diagnosis and present horrible side effects from Capecitabine

I am guessing from your post that she hasn’t contacted her 24h chemo helpline which is where I strongly recommend she starts (someone can ring on her behalf if it is easier). This is what are there for and will give appropriate advice. This may involve additional or a change in anti-sickness medication, which can be trial and error to get right. They may also advise her on the tablets - it is common for dosage to be reduced, without impacting on efficacy. They may also advise Diarolyte or equivalent to help avoid dehydration which can develop very quickly.

Please stay in touch and let us know what they say. Take very good care, Kim :x::x:

smartemarte
Quote from @Lirio345:
Good morning @smartemarte, a very warm welcome to the forum although I am sorry to hear of your mother in law’s diagnosis and present horrible side effects from Capecitabine

I am guessing from your post that she hasn’t contacted her 24h chemo helpline which is where I strongly recommend she starts (someone can ring on her behalf if it is easier). This is what are there for and will give appropriate advice. This may involve additional or a change in anti-sickness medication, which can be trial and error to get right. They may also advise her on the tablets - it is common for dosage to be reduced, without impacting on efficacy. They may also advise Diarolyte or equivalent to help avoid dehydration which can develop very quickly.

Please stay in touch and let us know what they say. Take very good care, Kim

Thank you for the help, she contacted the helpline but with it being her first batch they said that the symptoms are normal but she's not managing to keep anything down at the moment so I'll get her to contact them again and hopefully get something sorted to make her more comfortable.

Thanks again

Lirio345

Hi again @smartemarte, yes I would agree that another call is necessary in this case, Kim :x::x: