Living well with bowel cancer

You can find lots of useful information about living with and beyond bowel cancer on our website.

mynannie

Mum's 1st stage of living well with bowel cancer

Good evening all

Well, here we are, 12 days since mum had her operation and 5 days since she was discharged from hospital.

Mum is staying with us until she feels strong enough to return home but wow, I can't believe how well she is doing.

Stiches were taken out yesterday by the district nurse, all healing well. Stoma nurse visited who said she was amazed how well mum was coping with the stoma and bags.

She still gets very tired and walking with a frame but eating and drinking well. She still has concerns about what she will be able to do in the future but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I know it very early days for mum, we obviously have to wait for the pathology report to see if she will require any further treatment but we're not thinking that far ahead for now. Mum is overwhelmed with the care she has received from her fantastic surgeon, the nurses and doctors on the ward and the district nurses and stoma nurses who have visited her here. From being (understandably) terrified of the diagnosis and surgery to the point of the GP prescribing Diazepam to where she is now is nothing short of a miracle.

I know mum has been extremely fortunate in the fact the cancer hadn't spread at the point of diagnosis. My heart respectfully goes out to everyone whose journey is harder :x::x::x:

Liz Blakelands

@mynannie So glad to hear that you mum is out of hospital and recovering so well. I'm sure a lot of it is down to your help and support. It will take quite a while for your mum to regain her strength but it sounds like she is well on the way. All the best :x::x:

MysticLooRoll

I am glad your mum is doing so well! It is a slow recovery process and there are always some days that are better than others. The key is not to push too hard too soon and to rest when it’s needed.
Wishing her and you all the very best :x:

Jane39

Hi @mynannie
I am so pleased that you Mum is recovering so well.
Wonderful to read about the fantastic care that she has received.
Best wishes to you both, Jane :x:

stevejl

Hi @mynannie great to hear your mum is recovering well from the surgery.
sending love & hugs to you both
Take care
:x::x::x::x:

mynannie

Many thanks @Liz Blakelands. Mum is a little frustrated because she thinks she should be recovering quicker until I point out its only been just over 2 weeks since her operation 😊 :x::x:

mynannie
Quote from @stevejl:
Hi @mynannie great to hear your mum is recovering well from the surgery.
sending love & hugs to you both
Take care

Many thanks for your reply @stevejl: :x::x:

mynannie
Quote from @Jane39:
Hi @mynannie
I am so pleased that you Mum is recovering so well.
Wonderful to read about the fantastic care that she has received.
Best wishes to you both, Jane

Thank you @Jane39 :x::x:

mynannie
Quote from @MysticLooRoll:
I am glad your mum is doing so well! It is a slow recovery process and there are always some days that are better than others. The key is not to push too hard too soon and to rest when it’s needed.
Wishing her and you all the very best

@MysticLooRoll thank you so much for your best wishes :x::x: