Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

You can find lots of useful information about bowel cancer treatment on our website. You can also get information and support from our Ask the nurse service.

mumcat

Chemoradiation advice please.

Just finished 4 rounds of oxypalatin & chemo tablets. Start chemo radiotherapy on Monday. 22 sessions. Would be grateful for any tips or advice on getting through. Thank you.

annie50C

Hi @mumcat .. first thing don’t worry, for most people it’s absolutely fine. I took kids to school and went after and drove home after. But for some it is tiring. Basically the actual session is only about 10 mins, you hardly notice. chemo tablets didn’t affect me badly at all but they give you anti nausea tablets if you need. It is a very low dose of chemo tablet just to sensitise to the radiotherapy to make it work better. As the days go on you might experience soreness (burning) but this is tolerable and means it’s doing it’s job in zapping the alien ! .. the radiotherapy team recommend various creams and gels to apply (as not all are recommended) and this helps. This often continues for a few days after the end of all your sessions but is temporary and is just the after burn of the treatment still working. Lots of advice from your team, so do ask. Good luck .. it’s very effective for a lot of people.. Best Annie :x::x: 💕

mumcat

Thank you for your reassuring reply Annie. It’s most appreciated .

Quote from @annie50C:
Hi @mumcat .. first thing don’t worry, for most people it’s absolutely fine. I took kids to school and went after and drove home after. But for some it is tiring. Basically the actual session is only about 10 mins, you hardly notice. chemo tablets didn’t affect me badly at all but they give you anti nausea tablets if you need. It is a very low dose of chemo tablet just to sensitise to the radiotherapy to make it work better. As the days go on you might experience soreness (burning) but this is tolerable and means it’s doing it’s job in zapping the alien ! .. the radiotherapy team recommend various creams and gels to apply (as not all are recommended) and this helps. This often continues for a few days after the end of all your sessions but is temporary and is just the after burn of the treatment still working. Lots of advice from your team, so do ask. Good luck .. it’s very effective for a lot of people.. Best Annie 💕

alexking

Hi,
I’m about to start too. 25 zaps of radiotherapy and not sure how much capecitabene yet.
Not sure what to expect in terms of being able to drive etc.
thank you for the reassurance Annie :)

Tri_Rich

Hi @mumcat @alexking I had 25 zaps and capecitabine too. I found weeks 1-3 fine, I started to feel more tired in weeks 3+ but no significant side effects until week 5 and the week following it when I got a stinging bum when going to the toilet. That was managed with cream and also strong pain relief.
I also had a follow up of x3 Papillion several weeks later.
Good luck guys hoping it goes well :x::x::x:

mumcat

So week one done. I had low platelet count so didn’t start capecitabine till Thursday evening & a day off on Wednesday as the machine was being serviced! So a relatively good week. Thanks for your reply Tri_Rich.

Jane39

Hi @mumcat
Sounds like you are doing great.
Good to tick off the first week.
Jane :x:

MattyB

Hi, I had 25 sessions , radiographer staff where excellent. I just took every day as a new day and focused on half way point as was a very real physiological boost to be past it. Be prepared for possible post therapy burning as I easnt aware, but talk to the staff I found them very helpful and willing to answer questions

mumcat

Dear @alexking how did your treatment go? I read your blog which I found very helpful. I’m sorry you’re having to go through this now though. In time I may post my journey. The start sounded very similar to you. Though I’m a few decades older!

annie50C

Great @mumcat sounds like you are speeding through it.. I got the burning after the 2-3 weeks and continued until couple of weeks after last zap. :x::x::x: good luck !! :x::x:

annie50C

Hi @alexking hope you are doing ok too ? :x::x::x: 💕