Welcome to our forum

Welcome to the Bowel Cancer UK Community, a place for anyone affected by bowel cancer to talk about their experiences, share their knowledge and support each other. Please read our useful information pages for more information about the forum and Bowel Cancer UK.

sabr

Surveillance sigmoidoscopy!

Hi everyone if you read my past post I had an ESD to remove a flat depressed type large polyp. The findings of the polyp were high and low grade dysplasia. My surveillance 6 months sigmoidoscopy is on the 28th May. I can’t seem to stop thinking about it. I’m so scared my head keeps going back to the time they found the polyp and my world came crushing down. I know I need to do this surveillance scan but when my mind thinks about the sigmoidoscopy I’m instantly in panic mode. :x::x:

Liz Blakelands

@sabr Hi I know it is worrying when a surveillance scan is coming up but they are just that, surveillance. They don't mean that anything is wrong it is a check up. It just shows that your medical team are doing a good job of looking after you.

Please try to stay calm, I know it is easy to say, but worrying doesn't change anything and can get you into a downward spiral of anxiety. As the saying goes ' thoughts are not facts' please use that as a mantra.

Stay strong, keep busy and remember 'thoughts are not facts' .
Liz :x::x:

sabr
Quote from @Liz Blakelands:
@sabr Hi I know it is worrying when a surveillance scan is coming up but they are just that, surveillance. They don't mean that anything is wrong it is a check up. It just shows that your medical team are doing a good job of looking after you.

Please try to stay calm, I know it is easy to say, but worrying doesn't change anything and can get you into a downward spiral of anxiety. As the saying goes ' thoughts are not facts' please use that as a mantra.

Stay strong, keep busy and remember 'thoughts are not facts' .
Liz

Thank you @Liz Blakelands for replying back. I know can’t do anything to stop what will happen but at the moment I am attributing every symptom to a polyp growing back, for example stabbing pain for couple of seconds every day in my bum, sometimes blood upon wiping. I don’t trust any symptoms to be hemorrhoids anymore, I think I’ve had my reality slap always attributing these symptoms to hemorrhoids when they actually discovered a large polyp. :x::x:

Jane39

@sabr
I am sorry that you are struggling with the concerns of your forthcoming sigmoidoscopy. I’m not medical but I have read that it is very rare for a polyp to grow back when it has been completely removed. Surveillance is good practice and your team appear to be very thorough in planning this for you. These procedures are not very nice, but we get through them and you did too back in November. Try and focus of other things and plan some nice things this weekend to help distract you. The procedure date will soon be here and hopefully its all positive and you can put this behind you. I hope that you have support of family and friends around you.

Take care, Jane :x:

Lirio345

Hi @sabre, I do really feel for you and I totally agree with the great advice you have been offered above.

The anxiety that the previous polyp and ESD procedure has induced is understandable but I am wondering whether you should also consider speaking with your GP about medication to help as it does sound as if you are not coping and could do with some additional support. I promise you that is not a criticism, - loads of people on here have done just this.

Take very good care and please let us know the outcome, Kim :x::x:

sabr
Quote from @Jane39:
@sabr
I am sorry that you are struggling with the concerns of your forthcoming sigmoidoscopy. I’m not medical but I have read that it is very rare for a polyp to grow back when it has been completely removed. Surveillance is good practice and your team appear to be very thorough in planning this for you. These procedures are not very nice, but we get through them and you did too back in November. Try and focus of other things and plan some nice things this weekend to help distract you. The procedure date will soon be here and hopefully its all positive and you can put this behind you. I hope that you have support of family and friends around you.

Take care, Jane

I just keep thinking back to last time and how I thought it would be nothing and it was something. Praying so hard it’s all clear. :x::x:

sabr
Quote from @Lirio345:
Hi @sabre, I do really feel for you and I totally agree with the great advice you have been offered above.

The anxiety that the previous polyp and ESD procedure has induced is understandable but I am wondering whether you should also consider speaking with your GP about medication to help as it does sound as if you are not coping and could do with some additional support. I promise you that is not a criticism, - loads of people on here have done just this.

Take very good care and please let us know the outcome, Kim

Hi, what will the gp give me ? Something for my anxiety? I have actually been told by many people to go see my gp regarding my anxiety around this but I just feel like going to them will somehow make things worse. Every symptom I now have I am associating with something in my colon so hard not to. :x::x:

sabr

Procedure site was looking all clear thank God, my bleeding is being caused by external hemorrhoids or the joy! :x:

Lirio345

That is brilliant news @sabr - you can breathe now! Take very good care, Kim :x::x:

Liz Blakelands

@sabr So very pleased for you, relax and a little celebration :x::x:

stevejl

hi @sabr good to hear that it was good news presume you have been given something to treat the hemoroids as having suffered myself with them can be pesky things.
Take care
:x::x::x::x::x:

sabr

@Lirio345 @Liz Blakelands i do feel like I can relax after the longest time. :x::x:

@stevejl i have tried everything, nothing works for me, I feel like I’m out of options. I don’t want surgery, I think they can inject them but if I’m going to have more kids is there any point in injecting them. Do at times feels hopeless because of my hemorrhoids, they hurt a lot too. :x::x:

bettyb1987

So glad @sabr that you got the flexi sig and nothing untoward bar the hemorrhoids! What a relief for you. I would definitely ask about your options for treating them in the context of wanting more children and seeing what they say and recommend. Perhaps they can inject now and then when you're done with the baby stage you might want to reconsider more permanent surgery if they are bothering you? I feel for me the constant anxiety would warrant an anaesthetic! Lots of love and relieved for you :x::x::x:

sabr

@bettyb1987 hi hun my hemorrhoids are an actual pain. Sometimes a constant pain. I will talk to doctors and see if they can inject them again if they return! I hate having them. I have ordered this homeopathic medicine for 70 pounds for my hemorrhoids probably won’t work but it’s 90 day money back if I’m not happy with it. How are you ? Have you got your histology results yet ? :x::x:

bettyb1987

Hi @sabr just wrote you a message back and it disappeared...disaster! 🙈 Sorry if this appears twice. I wrote to say I'm sorry to hear you are in constant pain and I really hope the medicine you've found makes a difference. I've not got my histology results back yet - I spoke to the stoma nurse yesterday as I'm having problems with my illeostomy leaking and burning my skin - and she said that I wasn't discussed at MDT this past Monday (which was 2 weeks post operation) but that I'll be discussed this coming Monday. I can feel the anxiety levels rising again - cancer is a very good practice in patience! 🙈😭 I'm keeping my fingers crossed and trying to remind myself that a lot of my polypectomy histology from November was very positive (no LVI, no tumour budding, pT1, well/moderately differentiated, no perineural invasion). So just trying to hold onto that to stop myself freaking out! Lots of love to you and hope you feel better soon :x::x::x:

sabr

@bettyb1987 the medicine I ordered still hasn’t come yet, was meant to be here on Wednesday but I guess due to the long bank holiday it’s delayed. Your MDT meeting is today I’m right ? Wishing you all the best. Looks like the histology from your polpectomy was really good, I wouldn’t worry so much, I know
Easier said then done. :x::x::x: