Stage 4 bowel cancer

You can find information about advanced bowel cancer on our website, including our Treating advanced bowel cancer booklet. You can also join our Living with stage 4 bowel cancer Facebook group.

Baxter2

Out of action for a bit

Hi all,

Just to let you all know Iโ€™ve not gone awol but Iโ€™m currently in hospital with two fractured vertebrae. I came in on Friday in dramatic style by ambulance breathing gas and air! Iโ€™m on short and long acting morphine type pain killers as well as diazepam for muscle spasm to try to get on top of the pain. This is without doubt the very worst pain Iโ€™ve ever suffered in my life! Hoping to be home very soon and back on forum when more comfortable.

Lots of love to you all,

Karen ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒท

Edit: I should have added the fractures are nothing to do with my cancer (thank goodness!!) and there's absolutely no sign of metastases in whole of spine. Looks like treatment will be conservative with medication to strengthen bones alongside vit d and calcium. I'm desperate to be allowed to go on holiday to Crete on the 23rd!! ๐Ÿคž

louise28

Oh goodness. Am so sorry about this but glad it's not cancer related, that is v good!

Titanicgirl

what IN THE NAME O' THE WEE MAN have you been up to, ya crazy babe??? Super speedy recovery, mate, and ho! for Crete!

Tanguera

Karen, what a nightmare. Wishing you a speedy recovery and some super effective painkillers in the meantime. Please get well !!! :x:

Flipflopdancer

Hi@Baxter2 wishing you a speedy recovery, so sorry to hear you are in some pain at moment. Fingers crossed for your Crete holiday. Get well soon :x::x:

Sarah Morgan

Hope you recover soon @Baxter2 . I've not been on here for a while but felt I needed to check in today. Sending positive vibes :x::x::x:

SalShep

Wishing you a speedy recovery @Baxter2 :x::x:

kas52

@ Baxter , Oh Karen , it is a nasty surprise .Hope you will get better soon and youvdont feel any pain .Hugsxxx

Clancy1

@Baxter2, oh Karen speedy recovery. I do hope your pain is under control. Good luck for pending holiday.:x::x:

sweetcheeks

@Baxter2 oh my days , do it in style why donโ€™t you ๐Ÿ˜‚
Seriously make a speedy recovery and hope itโ€™s not as painful as it sounds
Lots of love :x::x::x::x::x:

bexly33

So sorry to read your post @Baxter2 Must have been very frightening for you. Hope you make a good recovery and able to go on your holiday. Take care. You have always been so encouraging and supportive on this forum for everyone. Love Linda ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿฅฐ:x::x:

Susie Ruth

Sending love your way Karen - you are so kind to everyone else, hope you are rewarded 100 fold. Take care and go well :x::x::x:

Stillme

Hi @Baxter2 - well I have tried to wean myself away from here a bit as I found I was still too obsessed with being scared to leave, I pop back on to check on you all and what do I find, you in hospital laid up! I do hope you feel better very soon and can get back home and look forward to your holiday. So glad to hear that apart from this you are doing well :x::x::x::x:

angelj

@Baxter2 that sounds so awful Iโ€™m so sorry I hope they manage the pain for you. Get better very soon :x::x:

Baxter2

Just a quick update as I'm tending to type a lot of gobbledegook today! Thank you all so much for all the lovely wishes and love.

I got home from hospital last night and the plan was that the hospital were arranging for a hospital bed to be sent next week as well as an OT assessment. I woke this morning, again, unable to physically move for the pain. I lay for a good few hours trying! The OT lady happened to call asking how things were going so I was able to blub my way through saying no, things were not ok and I couldn't get to loo either! She went off to discuss with the team, and they decided to send me a bed from a hire firm they use to see me over the weekend and a call to my GP for help. My GP called and has increased my diazepam significantly as said that would be the only drug that would relieve the painful spasms. Hey presto after allowing them to work, I was able to get myself up! What another horrible experience! Two hours later, bed arrived and set up in one of the spare rooms! Now how's that for NHS care?! They are also going to call me over the weekend to check how I'm doing. Feeling very well supported and cared for.

I'll respond to you all later once I'm talking more sense! ๐Ÿคช

Lots of love,

Karen ๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒธ

waiteh

You are doing amazing! Enjoy those bed controls!! :x::x:

Baxter2

I hope youโ€™re doing ok yourself @waiteh.
Itโ€™s very early days since you lost your dear husband โค๏ธ

Lots of love

Karen ๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒผ

Lizsa

Baxter2 so sorry to hear about your injury and that you are in so much pain. Wishing you a speedy recovery and hope you get to go on your holiday. :x::x:

kas52

@Baxter it is good to know you doing better and you are well look after......is it Edinburgh hospital you talking about ? Fingers crossed all will be wee to go on holiday .We are seeing oncologist on Thursday to know how Willie situation is .I'm already on tablets for IBS because of nerves . Is is always like this Hugsxxxxx

stevejl

Hi @Baxter2 Karen sorry to hear about your accident hope the recovery goes well & you get to Crete on the 23rd.Better take the NHS bed to the airport as may need it to get through the queues.B-)
Sending love & hugs
:x::x::x::x::x:

lindyloo

Oh so sorry to hear this @Baxter2 wishing you a speedy recovery sending my love ๐Ÿ’“ :x::x: