Living well with bowel cancer

You can find lots of useful information about living with and beyond bowel cancer on our website.

MikeHBristol

After effects of chemo post surgery

I finished chemo in January 22 following surgery in September 21. I still have side effects - tiredness, peripheral neuropathy in my feet and flatulence. Just wondered what experience people are having with these types of side effects, how long they last and anything that can be done to lessen them. Prefer real experience to lots of leaflets so any help from people with experience welcome.

Mark McC

Hi @MikeHBristol

I finished my seventh round of Xelox last July. I still get quite tired now in late afternoon and toes still occasionally tingle and feel numb even sitting in the sun. Also a bit windy but not as bad as 6 months ago. I just try to pace myself as best I can when doing things, but things are improving even if not as quickly as I’d like. I’ve mentally written off this year TBH. I was quite angry about the speed of improvement post treatment as I wanted everything back no normal NOW. I have been speaking to a councillor from BluSpace (via MacMillan & it’s free) about it and it has helped although I do still feel frustrated.

Sorry I can’t offer a definitive answer.

Take care.

DFTP

@MikeHBristol apologies, can now see that you've already had chemo so a lot of my reply on your other post won't be relevant! My husband is 3 weeks post 8 cycles of capox and his peripheral neuropathy is gaining momentum which I understand is quite normal. Its bugging him though! His fatigue is settling but is still partial to a nap and wouldn't be ready to be back working full time yet. It's bloody strong stuff and knocks you for 6!

MattyB

Hi, I had 3 rounds of Xerox jan, Feb march last year and still have numb and tingling in my feet and slightly numb fingertips. I can live with these , but I have found that cbd oil helps to lesson these a little. As for being tired, don't be worried about it, listen to your body and take a nap if you can.

Donald M

Hi @MikeHBristol from another Southmead (and Sumrien) fellow.
I finished CAPOX in September 2021 , followed by robotic LAR surgery at Southmead in October and it takes a while on all counts.
Neuropathy in my fingers and ears (who knew!) is much improved but my feet are still continually sore. I don't think anything but time really helps. Fatigue still creeps in even now and catches me by surprise but sometimes I think that it's more the mind playing catch-up with the new body.
And boy am I windy ... but at least that distracts from thinking about my feet when I'm out and about 😂.
🤞and best wishes

stevejl

Hi @MikeHBristol I finished my chemo at end of December 2021 & still suffer fatigue from time to time & need those afternoon naps.Like @Donald M it just creeps up on me without warning.Mentally am up & down but not seeking counselling currently.
Still get brain fog from time to time during lengthy chats with friends & family but they have adapted to that now.
Had some feet issues since mainly toe nails but these now clearing up @Ali on here recommended reflexology which I am trying out, had 1 session so far on my feet.She has feet & hand reflexology.
Take care
:x::x::x::x::x:

MysticLooRoll

Hi. Finished capox (4 rounds) in December 2021. I still get the following -
Fatigue Need more sleep in general and have to not overdo things. I have to plan more breaks or I pay for it.
Hydration and diet. I have to pay more attention these.. CertAin foods make me unhappy later
Chemo brain fog. Spells where I forget things or do stupid stuff. It’s like the wires in my brain get mixed up. I have done some absolutely daft things. My fella thinks it’s hilarious but I get worried it won’t go away. 😳 I write lists and reminders to help me keep organised.
Wind. Oh my god. I have never farted so much in my life. I think my tumour suppressed all my farts and now it’s gone, they are free to come out💨💨 💨🤢 again - diet affects this too so if I can work out the triggers it does help.
Skin -I get burnt in the sun more quickly. Sun cream is a must everyday.
Anger and frustration- with people and situations I never expected. I have had counselling to help with this. Do recommend you speak to someone even if you don’t think you need it. Cancer takes its toll and talking to someone professional can help. I write in a journal. That helps. I have done a course with maggies cancer centre called Where Now? That was useful as you speak to others who have been through treatment- not always the same cancer, but very helpful as they know how you feel.
Just know that you are not alone. I hope you have a good evening 😊

MikeHBristol

Yes, I am trying reflexology, have a third session this week. Hard to tell if it is really working, it is mostly pleasant while it is being done but for feet I’m not convinced. For stress and relaxation it seems better. Thinking a bit about counselling but am almost certain I know what they will say so not sure it’ll help much. Brain fog seems to come and go and tiredness mostly later in day.

Quote from @stevejl:
Hi @MikeHBristol I finished my chemo at end of December 2021 & still suffer fatigue from time to time & need those afternoon naps.Like @Donald M it just creeps up on me without warning.Mentally am up & down but not seeking counselling currently.
Still get brain fog from time to time during lengthy chats with friends & family but they have adapted to that now.
Had some feet issues since mainly toe nails but these now clearing up @Ali on here recommended reflexology which I am trying out, had 1 session so far on my feet.She has feet & hand reflexology.
Take care

MikeHBristol

Hi. Fortunately farting is getting less but it seems to flare up some days. I can’t associate it with any particular food but it is worse if I eat a lot in one session. Skin I have not noticed but we’re going to Greece next month so need to watch that. Yes to anger and frustration, some brain fog and easy temper loss, not helped by tiredness. Thanks for your advice.

Quote from @MysticLooRoll:
Hi. Finished capox (4 rounds) in December 2021. I still get the following -
Fatigue Need more sleep in general and have to not overdo things. I have to plan more breaks or I pay for it.
Hydration and diet. I have to pay more attention these.. CertAin foods make me unhappy later
Chemo brain fog. Spells where I forget things or do stupid stuff. It’s like the wires in my brain get mixed up. I have done some absolutely daft things. My fella thinks it’s hilarious but I get worried it won’t go away. 😳 I write lists and reminders to help me keep organised.
Wind. Oh my god. I have never farted so much in my life. I think my tumour suppressed all my farts and now it’s gone, they are free to come out💨💨 💨🤢 again - diet affects this too so if I can work out the triggers it does help.
Skin -I get burnt in the sun more quickly. Sun cream is a must everyday.
Anger and frustration- with people and situations I never expected. I have had counselling to help with this. Do recommend you speak to someone even if you don’t think you need it. Cancer takes its toll and talking to someone professional can help. I write in a journal. That helps. I have done a course with maggies cancer centre called Where Now? That was useful as you speak to others who have been through treatment- not always the same cancer, but very helpful as they know how you feel.
Just know that you are not alone. I hope you have a good evening 😊