Worried about bowel cancer

If you're worried about possible bowel cancer symptoms or are awaiting diagnosis, you can ask questions and get advice here. You can find out more about the symptoms of bowel cancer on our website.

Scrumpy

Possible diagnosis

Hello, firstly I want to say what a lovely supportive forum this is, it’s such a relief to find it and the replies are all so helpful.

My 63 year old husband has been experiencing diarrhoea for 6 months. Life has been increasingly difficult because we can never be far from a bathroom. A FIT test last November was negative but after several conversations with his GP he had another last week that has prompted the GP to arrange an urgent referral. He has never seen the G.P. All appointments are on the phone .

The hospital rang this morning and the consultant wants to see him tomorrow morning. We’re both now pretty worried. This all came on very suddenly and I’m just wondering if that is common. The diarrhoea literally started one day and didn’t ever go away. My husband also has severe heart failure and a pacemaker so he is always tired, thus we have no idea if he is tired from his heart or something else. Has anyone else had a sudden onset of symptoms?

Lirio345

Good afternoon @Scrumpy, a very warm welcome to the forum although I am very sorry to read of your husband’s health problems.

The hospital consultant is responding appropriately to the two week protocol which is brilliant. S/he has asked to see your husband to determine the next step, which is often a sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy. None of this means that your husband has Bowel Cancer as I am sure you know that these symptoms can be caused by lots of bowel issues.

Some people with BC may have had sudden onset of diarrhoea and some won’t, - so it unfortunately doesn’t help.

Thankfully the ball has started rolling quickly; please stay in touch and let us know how he gets on tomorrow, Kim :x::x:

Jane39

Welcome to the forum @Scrumpy
Sorry to hear of the difficult time that your husband is having.
Best wishes for the appointment tomorrow.
Jane :x: