Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

You can find lots of useful information about bowel cancer treatment on our website. You can also get information and support from our Ask the nurse service.

leeanne

Post operative vomitting

Hi
My 69 year old mum has had open bowel resection to remove bowel cancer. Thankfully no colostomy was needed. She is is seven days post and inns vomiting every 3 hours. She has yet to pass a poo but idles passing wind. She is taking regular anti sickness medication (odansatron).
My questions for the forum:
1. Is this normal vomiting post operation normal
2. Is there anything else we can do befit seeking medical advice
Thanks very much
Leeanne

Lirio345

Good morning @leeanne, welcome to the forum although I am sorry to hear of your mum’s diagnosis.

I am assuming that she has been discharged from hospital? It sounds as if the bowel has not yet woken up (this is called ileus); this is not at all uncommon and can take a good few days and sometimes a little longer to resolve. Vomiting is associated with this.

It is unusual for a hospital to discharge a patient before the bowel is fully working (although the wind is a good sign). I would suggest that she or you rings the ward and asks for advice (this is the normal point of contact for up to two weeks following discharge). They may want to see her to check all is well. If she is vomiting several times a day she may be dehydrated in which case using something like Diarolyte is a good idea.

So yes, please seek medical advice, but stay in touch and let us know how you get on, Kim :x::x:

leeanne

Thanks Kim. Sound advice. Will keep in touch.

leeanne

Hi Kim, rang 111. Dr on call came gave mum an IM anti sickness. Feels a little better this afternoon :x::x:

Lirio345

Hi @leeane, glad to hear she is feeling a little better and thank you for the update, Kim :x::x:

hev

@leeanne
I recently too had operation for bowel cancer and I can totally relate to you-
I was recovering well Upto 2nd day post op
Then. Temperature increases and had few other issues
I started being sick with lots of green type bile which I then needed tube up nose down to stomach which drained off this liquid
It was explained stomach just had not returned to functioning fully and although I was opening bowels it wasn’t fully back to normal
Once it cleared I felt totally different and went home next day
Good luck

leeanne

Thanks Hev. It’s a worrying thing when you see a loved one unable to tolerate sips of water. She’s on the mend now having to take regular anti sickness medication. It’s the little bit of info like this that the professionals are unaware of and hence doesn’t get passed on to patients and carers. This forum and community has a great source of support. I wish you well in your recovery. Thanks for getting touch 🥰

hev

@leanne
This forum has been huge help to me
Hearing peoples experiences who are in similar situations means you have knowledge of good & bad views
As surgeon said to me no experience with BC is normal but it happens to many