Worried about bowel cancer

If you're worried about possible bowel cancer symptoms or are awaiting diagnosis, you can ask questions and get advice here. You can find out more about the symptoms of bowel cancer on our website.

malena74

Urgent Deferral. Worried.

Good morning all,
I hope you can give me some strength and possibly some acceptance of what’s to come. I’m very worried I might have BC.
I noticed a little blood in the stool a few months ago but didn’t take any notice, I thought it was piles. Then, only day, I saw flesh blood on my tissue but nothing on the bowl and called the GP the very next day. He did a physical exam and could not feel anything but suggested a FIT test. 5 days later it came back positive (do not know the reading). Since, and I do not know if it’s because I’m anxious, I have noticed frequent bowel movements and quite loose, not diarrea, and last week I noticed a little bloody mucus but not blood. The worse thing is that I can not remember how everything was before the tissue episode, and every pain here and there is a possible symptom! I do not know what’s real and what’s not.
Physically, I feel ok, I have energy and haven’t lost my appetite, I’m just extremely anxious and scared of the possible outcomes.
Thank you very much in advance for reading.
Malena :x:

malena74

@youngatheart yes, let’s stay strong and positive💪🏼 Take care and do not Google too much😉

youngatheart

Sounds like a plan 😀

malena74

Dear @kathyS, @Lirio345 and @youngatheart How are you? Today I have had my phone consultation prior to my colonoscopy. It has been discovered that on my last CT scan on the 6th of May (it was done as a follow up on a recent operation) that I have signs of sigmoid divercular disease. When speaking to the doctor, she told me that I still need to have my colonoscopy to rule things out and that CT scans not always pick everything up? However, that if it was something very advanced it would have shown up on the scan. Despite everything, I’m still extremely worried, more now. Could have something been missed out? I asked for my FIT results as I didn’t know the reading and it was 125. I know you are not medical professionals but could you please advice? Thank you very much in advance 🌻

youngatheart

Hi, I know how you feel, my FIT test came back positive, as did my prolactin test, both tests for cancer as well as IBD. I was diagnosed with diverticular disease 5 years ago. Had colonoscopy on Monday following 2 positive stool tests and cancer ruled out, but have ulcerative colitis as well now. Just one small ulcer, so waiting on next step, medication I expect. I think it's so easy to just believe everything is cancer, I was in bits before my colonoscopy, but there are so many others things it could be. Good luck and take care :x::x:

Lirio345

Hi @malena, I wish we could advise but we can’t really as positive FIT result can be due to a number of Bowel conditions which is why you are having tests. I know this is really tough, but you are being well looked after and you just have to get through each day as best you can. I am sorry that I can’t be more specific, Kim :x::x:

malena74

@youngatheart I’m so glad for you despite the new diagnosis! One needs to be positive!
Thank you so very much for your reassurance @Lirio345 Fingers crossed😀

malena74

Dear @Lirio345 @kathyS @MrsMitch… Colonoscopy done today and back home. They found a small polyp that was removed and then a flat larger one of 4cm (they think it’s a polyp). They took 6 biopsies from this one to see if it’s cancerous, they can not tell at this point. I will have to have an operation to remove it even if it’s not cancer. The dr said that if it’s, it should be at very early stages as recent CT scan was good. Do you think they can tell straight away if a polyp is malign? Can a large flat one be benign? I’m numb, I do not know what to think or feel. This wait is going to be long. I’m exhausted and in pain… but well… it’s done😊 I just wanted to say thank you for your words these last few weeks, for being here🌻

Lizsa

Hi @malena74 I'm sorry to hear they found a 4cm polyp and you have to wait for biopsy results to find out if cancer. But the good news is that they sound positive, CT scan good and if it is cancer then very early stage. Hopefully it won't be cancer. When the surgeon found my malignant tumour in colonoscopy he said he was pretty certain it was cancer just by looking at it. They treated it like I had cancer by referring me to Colorectal cancer nurse and scans etc. Biopsy results came back 3 weeks later to confirm he was right. If their not sure about yours then hopefully it won't be cancer. I have everything crossed for you.
Would you have to have an anterior resection surgery to remove it or can they do a polyectomy?
Good luck for your results :x::x:

malena74

Hi @Lizsa! Thank you for your message. I’m still unsure of what they are going to do, the Dr only said that it has to be removed 2-3 weeks after the biopsies come back. I’m glad they found it though as my CT scan said “no bowel thickening seen” so very pleased they referred me as they did. I am just scared. How are you? How are you feeling after surgery?

Lizsa

Hi @malena74 . Surgeon said same to me that night needed the surgery in 3-4 weeks after colonoscopy. It was a day under 4 weeks so I was very impressed with how quick!
It's brilliant news that it was found, if it had been left it could have got a lot worse. I hope its not cancer and that they can remove it without the major surgery. I am recovering well from my LAR surgery thanks. Just over 2 weeks now and doing good. Good luck and keep us updated :x::x:

leeK

Hi @malena74
I’m sorry you are having to wait for results but I am pleased they did refer you for this . I’m really hoping that they are benign and you get them out as soon as possible .
Good luck for your results

malena74

Good morning @leeK, thank you for your good wishes, I really appreciate your support. Will keep positive💪🏼!

malena74

Morning @Lizsa, I’m so glad to hear you are healing well, it’s a very difficult time but I hope things progress as fast as they have done with you. The sooner they remove it, the better!

Lirio345

Hi @malena74, thank you for the update although I am sorry that you are still in limbo. I know it doesn’t help, but this is not uncommon as they always remove polyps and send them off for checking.

Flat polyps are more difficult to remove and surgery is often needed. They cannot be left in place just incase they become cancerous.

You are being very well looked after and a time will come when you will know all of the results and where you stand. It is getting through, day by day which is challenging, but we have to do it somehow don’t we?

Take very good care and please keep us in the loop, Kim :x::x:

malena74

Hi Kim, @Lirio345 as always, thank you for your comfort words. They do help more than you know. Gracias!

malena74

Dear all @Lirio345 @Lizsa @kathyS @leeK
I just wanted to express my deep and honest gratitude for your support when I needed it. These last two months have been really worrying and have learnt a lot from all of you and being part of this forum. I will now start volunteering and making sure I advocate for BC and will do what I can to support others.
Yesterday I got the news that both of my polyps are benign and even though I will have an operation to remove my large flat one, I feel that this experience has changed my life, in a total positive way!
Thank you again for your support and great strength to support others, I deeply admire you!
All my love,
Magdalena 🌻

Lirio345

Hi @malena74, thank you for this lovely update and comment! I am delighted for you and so pleased that you have this lovely forum supportive. Please take very good care, Kim :x::x::x:

Lizsa

Ah @malena74 , I'm so so pleased to hear the polyp is benign. Hopefully they'll remove it for you soon and you won't have to think about it anymore. Make sure you have regular conlonoscopies to remove any potential new ones before they get as big.
I'm pleased you found this forum helpful and supportive and I am proud of you for your plan to volunteer and advocate for BC.
:x::x: