Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

You can find lots of useful information about bowel cancer treatment on our website. You can also get information and support from our Ask the nurse service.

bettyb1987

🌈 Positive news: the results are in 💕

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to relay my good news after waiting what seemed like an age for my histology results following my low anterior resection surgery on 16th May.

The nurse phoned today and told me that there was no residual disease in my section of bowel that was removed, and from the 11 lymph nodes they found these were all clear and the tumour would have been T1. It feels strange to go through such major surgery for them not to find anything, but I'm glad I did it as the risk of mets to lymph nodes for me was high because of the depth of invasion and with less than 1mm resection margin from my polypectomy in November.

I'm waiting for an appointment to go into clinic to receive a surveillance plan, and then I think I am going for genetic testing - which I think the nurse said would be through Great Ormond St Hospital (bizarrely at age 35..!)

I just wanted to say thank you for all your advice and support. You are a wonderful bunch of people and you have lifted me in my darkest times pre surgery and gave me so much hope and the resilience I truly needed. I've just got a lot of moviprep, cameras, scans and then an ileostomy reversal to get through now! I really am wishing you all the best of luck in your own journeys and wishing you positive outcomes too.

All my love,
Betty
:x::x::x:

Leaguefan

Good news is always welcome on these forums.
Onwards and upwards to full recovery and NED.

bettyb1987

Thank you so much @Leaguefan and @momentbymonent I did hope it was ok to share my good news as im mindful not everyone gets a positive outcome, but I wish that this provides some hope to those waiting for their initial results :x::x::x:

Rachel56

Many congratulations. :x::x::x:

Cathy13

Aw @bettyb1987 I'm so pleased for you. Onwards and upwards now :x::x::x:

Josianna

Fantastic news. So pleased for you :x::x::x:

ElaineG

Really pleased for you @bettyb1987. Sending lots of love ❤️

bettyb1987

Thank you so much @Rachel56 @Lizsa @Cathy13 @Josianna @ElaineG really kind of you all ❤️

I just had my face to face appointment yesterday to confirm the histology and confirmed my future surveillance plan. Next stop is water soluble enema... I've heard great things about that 🙈

Lots of love to you all :x::x::x:

Josianna

Ooh that's wonderful news @bettyb1987 Thanks for letting us know. Going forward I'm sure the surveillance plan will give you peace of mind too, it's great knowing that you'll be looked after.
A water soluble enema......I haven't heard of that before. They seem to be coming up with new things all the time!!
Really pleased for you and you deserve to treat yourself now!

Love Jo :x::x::x:

WelshWife

Fantastic news❤️:x::x::x:

Gula

Very good news@bettyb1987

VickyTrish21

Wow Congratulations

So Inspiring! :x::x:

Liz Blakelands

@betty1987 That is such good news, so very pleased for you :x::x:

Worried_Jay

Hi @bettyb1987 fantastic news with your histology results.

A water soluble contrast enema honestly is fine. I’ve had one and got so anxious I postponed then actually cancelled my appointment 🙈 another appointment was made for me, I spoke with the radiologist beforehand and she eased my concerns. To add to the drama it was my time of the month I thought that would get me out of it again but it didn’t 😂

Compared to my previous colonoscopy it was a breeze. Possibly slightly uncomfortable and undignified but that was it when they insert the thin tube and tape it to your bottom. You just have to move on your back and side to get good :x:-rays. Then it’s over, honestly I even said when they told me you’re done, “is that it”? They direct you to the toilet where you may need to sit for a while to allow what came in to leave. I was only on the toilet 5/10 minutes I wanted to get home. I did bring a towel for the car seat journey home but luckily I didn’t need it. I went as soon as I got home and just stayed near the bathroom for the rest of the morning. Hope all goes well :x::x:

bettyb1987

Thank you so much for your kind words everyone and I wish you some positive outcomes too.

Thanks so much @Worried_Jay this has set my mind at ease a bit - I've heard some horror stories 🤣🤣 :x::x::x:

KarenE

Brilliant news @betty1987 :x::x:

Jane39

Great news @bettyb1987
So pleased for you.
Take care, Jane :x::x: