Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

You can find lots of useful information about bowel cancer treatment on our website. You can also get information and support from our Ask the nurse service.

jodiejo

Autonomic peripheral neuropathy(?)

Hi, I’m 43 and have had stage 3 BC. Have found this forum a great support.
I finished 6 months of CAPOX about 6 weeks ago and now have peripheral neuropathy including a numb bottom. I think this is called autonomic neuropathy… it causes constipation. Has anyone else had this post chemo side effect and did the numb bum get better before feet & toes…? Many thanks

Siona

Hello @jodiejo and welcome, I'm glad you found this forum supportive.
It's the first time I hear about autonomic neuropathy so did a quick check, nothing relevant on the forum but I hope people can share their experience. Did you get the chance to talk to your doctor?
My peripheral neuropathy kicked in roughly 6 weeks after the end of treatment (it's called coasting when it appears/worsen after treatment) but gradually decreased, and as in many cases, the same thing will happen to you. So in the meantime, it's more of a matter of managing the symptoms until the damaged nerves repair themselves. Neuropathy is such a horrible side effect, and I hope your goes away quickly. Lots of love :x::x::x:

jodiejo

Hi Siona, Huge thanks for the quick reply. Your message has given me a big positive boost!
The GP said it will improve… and I can still have my colonoscopy which is in a weeks time.
It’s horrid that the numbness is there constantly isn’t it … I’ve never had a chronic condition before and I really appreciate now how it takes its toll mentally too.
I’m going to try & take it really steady this summer … We’ve recently postponed our weeks hol to the Isle of Wight as it was camping!
How’s your summer going so far?
Love & best wishes, Jo :x::x:

Siona
It’s horrid that the numbness is there constantly isn’t it … I’ve never had a chronic condition before and I really appreciate now how it takes its toll mentally too.

Absolutely Jo @jodiejo
All the best for your colonoscopy, and with your recovery
We are very much looking forward a week in Sardinia next month, our first proper holiday abroad since the pandemic :)
:x::x: