Younger people with bowel cancer

You can find lots of useful information for younger people on our website, as well as details of our Never Too Young campaign.

poopla150385

Diagnosed January 2022

Hello everyone,

My name is Charlotte 37 years old and i was diagnosed with bowel cancer in January this year.
I had emergency surgery after being in excruciating pain, they had to remove my left ovary but suspected it didn’t start from there. After more scans and test and colonoscopy they realised it was from the bowel. I had further emergency surgery as after the colonoscopy they had torn my bowel slightly. I now have a stoma and under going chemotherapy. It’s been a strange and difficult time. Although I have fantastic support I find myself always saying “I’m ok” and putting on a brave face. :(

Mark McC

Hi @poopla150385

Sorry to hear about the challenges you’ve had.

This is the right place to share as it reinforces the fact that you are not alone going through this, and no matter how good the support of family and friends no one else will truly understand the emotional and physical challenges you are going through. I was having chemo whilst I had my stoma last year, and as well as being strange and difficult, it was a sapping anxiety laden time with emotions going through the spin cycle on a regular basis.

It’s great to out a brave face on but it’s also OK to have down days, be kind to yourself and listen to your body, because when you come out the other end of it all, it really is worth it.

Good luck.

Liz Blakelands

@poopla150385 Hi Charlotte and welcome to the forum but very sorry that you find yourself here. The forum is a supportive place for people who have bowel cancer, it is a place where it is fine to say that things are tough and sometimes just to have a good moan. It is also a great place to ask questions and get answers from people with experience.

Having supporting family and friends is wonderful but sometimes it can be difficult to be honest with people who are close to you as then you have to deal with their reaction. Good or bad. I definitely found out which of my friends and family were good listeners,

You have had a really tough time the last 6 months, take time to absorb what has happened, how things have changed for you and be kind to yourself.

Please keep in touch, big hug
Liz :x::x:

bettyb1987

Hi Charlotte, just wanted to pop by and give you a virtual hug and sorry to hear of your experience. I like you was diagnosed Jan 2022, at the age of 34. I just got my ok to go onto a surveillance plan as the surgeon thinks he got mine, but I definitely feel I'm in that putting on a brave face stage too. I wish you all the best with your treatment and stay in touch, Betty :x::x::x:

Siona

Hi Charlotte @poopla150385 just wanted to send you lots of love. I was also diagnosed at 37 and going through all those emotions. Next month is going to be three years since my diagnosis.
You're definitely in the right place to discuss anything, especially things you don't dare to talk to your friends and family. Helene :x::x::x:

bowelbehavingbadly

@poopla150385 Charlotte I’m so sorry you find yourself here. It’s depressing each time I hear of another young person being diagnosed. I’m sure you’re familiar with the saying it’s ok not to be ok? Physically and emotionally you’ve been through a turbulent time. Sometimes with the best will in the world our support systems are another reason for us to try to be brave just when the world is at its scariest. Have you a CNS. It might be worth asking for counselling to process what you’ve been through. I’ve met people through this forum who have benefitted greatly from services by cancer charities. Sending love. :x::x::x::x:

poopla150385

Thank you so much for your kind words and support. I hope that you are ok. I have had the assessment and due a meeting soon. :x::x::x:

Quote from @bowelbehavingbadly:
@poopla150385 Charlotte I’m so sorry you find yourself here. It’s depressing each time I hear of another young person being diagnosed. I’m sure you’re familiar with the saying it’s ok not to be ok? Physically and emotionally you’ve been through a turbulent time. Sometimes with the best will in the world our support systems are another reason for us to try to be brave just when the world is at its scariest. Have you a CNS. It might be worth asking for counselling to process what you’ve been through. I’ve met people through this forum who have benefitted greatly from services by cancer charities. Sending love.

poopla150385

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support. I hope that you are all well and coping ok. :x::x::x: Charlotte :x::x::x: