Just diagnosed

If you've recently been diagnosed with bowel cancer, our website has lots of information to help you understand more and get the support you need.

tink190777

A week to go until Surgery

Hi everyone , I was diagnosed in may with a rectal sigmoid malignant tumour after a few months of badgering my gp to take me seriously .. I’m finally getting surgery next Wednesday but it’s high risk whilst they were scanning me they found a big blood clot in one of my big veins .. has anyone else had experience of this ? I think I now have more time to think as I’m having to self isolate from
The rest of my family ( husband and three kids 14,11,7) until surgery due the gift that keeps on giving that is covid .. any advice on surgery , post op or similar experiences would be very welcome 🤗

Lizsa

Hi @tink190777 . I was also diagnosed with a malignant tumour in upper rectum where it meets the sigmoid colon (12cm from anal verge). I had surgery on 17th June. You can have a look at my threads as I got lots of useful advice from everyone on here. Good luck with the surgery, and remember it won't be long until you're on the road ro recovery. I feel so much better now 10 days post surgery. My recovery has improved loads each day, it's great to see how your body heals itself. And most importantly that tumour is out and in the bin.
I send you lots of love and well wishes :x::x:

Liz Blakelands

Hi @tink190777 A very warm welcome to the forum but very sorry about your diagnosis. I hope you find the forum friend and supportive.

I don't have experience of the blood clot but I think that it is probably really good news that they picked it up on the scan so now they know about it and it can be treated and dealt with. I do feel for you, dealing with the cancer diagnosis and then a big blood clot.

Re surgery rest up and eat well, with gentle exercise and plan for when you get out of hospital. It is a major op and recovery takes time. With 3 children you probably are on the go all day every day so everyone needs to know that that is going to change completely. Everyone recovers at different rates but it is important to listen to your body and don't push it.

Ear plugs for the hospital, they are so noisy at night and a long charging cable for phone.

Good luck with the surgery and please keep in touch
Liz :x::x:

tink190777

Thank you so much Lizsa that’s really good to hear that you are recovering well it’s so great to hear positivity 🥰 thanks so much !

Quote from @Lizsa:
Hi @tink190777 . I was also diagnosed with a malignant tumour in upper rectum where it meets the sigmoid colon (12cm from anal verge). I had surgery on 17th June. You can have a look at my threads as I got lots of useful advice from everyone on here. Good luck with the surgery, and remember it won't be long until you're on the road ro recovery. I feel so much better now 10 days post surgery. My recovery has improved loads each day, it's great to see how your body heals itself. And most importantly that tumour is out and in the bin.
I send you lots of love and well wishes

tink190777

Thank you so much Liz .. I do feel my biggest fear is life post surgery .. whilst I feel rubbish now I’m
Still able to exercise moderately and do stuff with my three active children.. I think I’m
Going to find it very hard not being able to do my normal mum stuff egI’m going to miss my daughters first sports day ( due to covid it’s taken until now ) and my middle sons last before he’s off to secondary school .. the mum
Guilt is not great .. I think I’m more spooked because everyone I meet professional wise is very nervous because of my blood clot .. and it’s making me very scared about the surgery ..

Quote from @Liz Blakelands:
Hi @tink190777 A very warm welcome to the forum but very sorry about your diagnosis. I hope you find the forum friend and supportive.

I don't have experience of the blood clot but I think that it is probably really good news that they picked it up on the scan so now they know about it and it can be treated and dealt with. I do feel for you, dealing with the cancer diagnosis and then a big blood clot.

Re surgery rest up and eat well, with gentle exercise and plan for when you get out of hospital. It is a major op and recovery takes time. With 3 children you probably are on the go all day every day so everyone needs to know that that is going to change completely. Everyone recovers at different rates but it is important to listen to your body and don't push it.

Ear plugs for the hospital, they are so noisy at night and a long charging cable for phone.

Good luck with the surgery and please keep in touch
Liz

bettyb1987

Hi @tink190777 welcome to the forum although really sorry to read of your recent diagnosis. I don't have experience with the blood clot but as Liz says it is really positive they have located this already and can monitor you more closely. The waiting pre the operation is the worst isn't it. Having all that time to think doesn't do much to settle the mind! I am 6 weeks out post surgery and am doing well, I just did a 12 mile walk with the dog this Sunday just gone. The first 2-3 weeks are a bit of a blur but with every week that passes you'll look back and realise how much stronger you've become. You've had lots of good suggestions for the hospital bag, I second the long line phone charger but I also bought a fast charger plug socket with different types of usbs to charge both my phone and iPad. That was a life saver. I also bought peppermint tea and gum to help prevent ileus and calm gas pain. Last on my list - don't be like me and forget dry shampoo if your hair gets greasy - I was a scene by day 5 in hospital...

All the best will you keep us posted with how you get on?
Betty :x::x::x:

tink190777

Thanks Betty … fab tip about the dry shampoo !! And the chewing gum .. every little suggestion helps and great to hear how well you are doing ..will keep you all posted for how I get on 😊

hev

@tink190777 - wishing you all best with operation- agree with everyones advise
Time waiting for op is hard as your mind often goes into overdrive! One nurse in my colorectal team said to me your operation is what you are aiming for -you have climbed this steep hill- have operation then on other side is hard at times but you can take small steps on the other side!
Recovery & experiences are so different for us all - I’m 6 weeks post operation and where I am now is so amazing to where I was 4 weeks ago
Please listen to your body though- it’s very easy to think “oh I can just do that “ just slow down and let others do it!! Some one else can load washing machine/ hoover/ clean- all those things we think we should do !!! Stop!! Sit back and let that beautiful/amazing body heal
Def take chewing gum in with you- consultant told me this really does help- I chewed and chewed and unfortunately I ended up having NG tube for other reasons but majority people chewing is very good thing to do/ def take long charger lead and little fan if you can-hospitals get very stuffy!!
Good luck

stevejl

hi @tink190777 as another sigmoid BC diagnosis just under 12 months ago & now on 5 year surveillance plan may I wish you all the best for your op next Wednesday & subsequent recovery.
You have already received great advice on your hospital stay.
My stay lasted about 5 days.
Just take it easy on discharge as you need to give time for the wounds inside as well as outside to heal.
I to found it hard but looking back I followed the surgeon's advice to the letter & it helped me recover well from the surgery.
Sending love&hugs to you & your family.
Take care
:x::x::x::x::x:

tink190777

Thank you everyone for your really kind and helpful responses .. it’s so good to hear from people that are going through it aswell or have been through it and come out of the other side …. So nice to find such a supportive forum .. 🥰

Finchie

Hi @tink190777 I can’t help with the blood clot, however, surgery for me was 5 weeks ago today. I am an insulin dependent diabetic and have had a previous heart attack with 2 cardiac arrests. Everyone in the NHS were superb, I listened and followed advice as best I could. Only 2 nights in hospital, some discomfort at home managed with paracetamol. Small amounts of exercise every day, balance your diet and recovery is in sight. Try to be positive and your family will be only to willing to help. Hope it all goes well. Ian

tink190777

Thank you Ian ..glad to hear you are making a good recovery despite your other health issues .. really helpful
To hear from
Someone that I’m sure was also branded high risk ..thank you for your kind words and positivity :x:

kathyS

@tink190777 please do concentrate on you and put yourself first as the anxiety of getting “back to normal” won’t help your recovery. Finding a “new normal” will. Having a diagnosis like this does change you and not all change is bad! I know a lot of people on the forum have children and I have two who were 15,8 when I was diagnosed. I wasn’t prepared for how long it would take my body to recover and we are all different. Definitely if you can get as much practical help as possible in place for your return from hospital as don’t forget it’s major surgery you are having. I was very stressed that people were up and running in a few weeks and my particular journey involved a few spells in hospital. I’m three years down the line now and having regular scans and currently well! BUT, it’s not just a minor glitch- it takes time for body and particularly mentally to recover as we process what we go through in stages and I would suggest that you plan for yourself to ask for help NOW and put this in place. People who love us often get it right and wrong, they want to minimise as to be serious about it can take them to a dark place or at the other end of the spectrum catastrophise which isn’t helpful either! Try to find friends who will listen to you and your worries and concerns and sometimes it’s surprising who shows up for you in this way!! For hospital as well as the long charger cable already mentioned, I just took tracksuits to wear in bed which I felt less vulnerable in than PJs. I brought my own blanket too and bottles of water! It’s a marathon not a sprint! All the best for your op and let us know how you get on!! :x::x::x:

Lucy118

Good luck in your surgery today @tink190777 :x::x::x:

tink190777

Hi everyone just a little update although it’s early days .. I’m out of surgery no complications so far ..the tumour is out .. with good margins ( just final histology to wait for ) (dodged the hdu itu admission and back on the ward .. in a lovely fentanyl and IV paracetamol haze 😬..every individual member of staff I have met has been amazing … I’ve not needed a stoma .. although my new gut is definitely having a bit of rebellion .. ( if you know you know .. 💩💩💩) but the nurses have been fab and cleaned me up and laughed at my inappropriate poo jokes so I’m in good company 🤣..
thank you to everyone for you lovely advice and top tips and thoughts and wishes 💞.. from a very relieved and maybe slightly high Tink :x:

Dyslexicimp

@tink190777 Good to hear you are out the otherside. Take it easy. Sending hugs :D

bettyb1987

Great news Tink, wishing you all the best for your continued recovery and lots more 💩 banter!! :x::x::x:

Baxter2

Great news that surgery all done and your making a good recovery @tink190777.

Sending you lots of good wishes and hope you'll soon be home again!

Lots of love,

Karen 🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

Liz Blakelands

@tink190777
So glad that the surgery is all done, that's the worst bit over and done with. Best wishes for a continued speedy recovery and the joy of getting back home. But do take it easy when you get there :x::x:

Jane39

Hello @tink190777
Great to hear from you and that all has gone very well.
Sounds like you are doing really great and wish you a smooth and speedy recovery.
Jane :x::x::x: