Worried about bowel cancer

If you're worried about possible bowel cancer symptoms or are awaiting diagnosis, you can ask questions and get advice here. You can find out more about the symptoms of bowel cancer on our website.

MrsMitch

Waiting is so frustrating

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and currently in a lot of pain with my stomach. 😢 I have been to the doctors and had a FiT test which has shown up some abnormalities and the Dr referred me last Friday for a 2ww Lower GI Colorectal RAS. I have had no bleeding or weight loss, just horrendous pain, cramping and a feeling like I have had a really really hot curry. Dr has prescribed, omniprazole, mebeverine and buscopan. I am hoping to hear tomorrow when I will be having a colonoscopy. I am scared and cannot think of anything but the worst. Has anyone else had similar symptoms? What did you do about the pain whilst waiting.

malena74

Dear @MrsMitch!
Welcome to the forum and I’m sorry to hear you are going through so much discomfort and pain. It’s very difficult to wait as our thoughts tend to wonder, isn’t it? Do not despair, you are doing what you are meant to having everything checked. Did you hear about your colonoscopy today? Do you have a date?
Since my first visit to the GP, it has taken a month to have mine… (on the 2nd of July) so I will soon know what is causing my symptoms. It’s very scary but everyone here does understand and will support you!
Just try to use mindfulness and keep busy, do the things you love doing and do not think too much. In regards to pain, follow your GP’s instructions, I just take paracetamol.
Please take care and keep in touch!🌻

MrsMitch

Hi @malena74
Thank you for your reply. The hospital called yesterday and I am all set for 12th July, it was strange how once I had a date I seemed to relax a little. So I will have been seen in just a little over 2 weeks from when the Doctor did the referral. I really hope that your procedure goes as well as it can and you get some answers. I am sending you positive thoughts and virtual hugs. 🤗

Liz Blakelands

@MrsMitch Hi and welcome to the forum. So glad that you now have a date for your colonoscopy. The colonscopy should give you a diagnosis and please remember that the bowel is a bit of a prima donna and has lots of different reasons for causing problems. Only one in ten having a colonsocopy actually have bowel cancer.

Best of luck for the 12 July and please let us know how you get on
All the best
Liz :x::x:

Jane39

Hi @MrsMitch
Welcome to the forum.
Sorry that you have these symptoms and pain.
It sounds like you have a great GP that has referred you promptly and you have a date for a colonoscopy.

As Liz said, there are many bowel conditions that can cause symptoms and hopefully this will be the case for you.

If you are still having pain, please speak to your GP who will help with the right analgesia.

Take care and keep us posted.

Best Wishes
Jane :x::x::x:

malena74

Thank you very much @MrsMitch. I wish you all the best too, always here if you need a chat. Please take care.
Magdalena :x::x:

MrsMitch

Hi @malena74
How are you? Just wondering how your procedure went yesterday (2nd), did it put your mind at rest at all? I am not sure whether they give you any info at the time as I have read so many different stories over the past few weeks. I am hoping that they will have had least said something to you to help at least? Sending my best wishes :x:

malena74

Hello @MrsMitch I tagged you on my original post just now. So yes, colonoscopy wasn’t too bad, I thought it was going to be painful but I took sedation and I was much in control. Prep wasn’t difficult either. They took 6 biopsies from a 4cm flat polyp, so need to wait further more. Let’s see the outcome. In all honesty, it feels surreal, like this is not happening to me. I’m a little scared but I hope it’s a polyp and nothing more… that it can be removed and it’s treatable. Fingers crossed.
How are you doing? Any updates?

malena74

@MrsMitch Just thinking of you and hoping everything went well on the 12th…🌻

MrsMitch

@malena74 Thank you so much for your message and thinking of me. Sorry I have not been on line since, as it was my sons birthday. Everything went well and I am so pleased to say that nothing was detected! Not sure where we go from here to try and understand where the pain is coming from, I suppose the next stage is back to the doctors for further investigations.
Have you heard anything back yet? I am sending you positive thoughts and keeping everything crossed for you! 🤗 :x::x:

Liz Blakelands

@MrsMitch
So glad that nothing was detected in the colonoscopy. Bowel cancer is eliminated, phew!. I know it hasn't resolved your problems but it has ruled out a very serious one.

Hope you manage to find a cause and a solution soon

All the best
Liz :x::x:

malena74

@MrsMitch I am so happy to hear and hopefully the next few investigations wont show anything too serious. How are you feeling any better though?
My colonoscopy went ok, they found 2 polyps and one was left because it was too large to be removed but I’m glad to say they were both benign, so no signs of BC. They will probably have to operate and take the large polyp out so all I can say is thank you to everyone who supported me!