Worried about bowel cancer

If you're worried about possible bowel cancer symptoms or are awaiting diagnosis, you can ask questions and get advice here. You can find out more about the symptoms of bowel cancer on our website.

lizsm28

My symptoms

Hi all, long story! I had a perianal abscess in October last year, along with red infected swelling in left buttock. The abscess still hasn’t healed (leaking blood/puss daily). The lump on my buttock has been on/off and always feels like I’m sitting on a golf ball in the bath! I have googled a diagram of buttock and it seems to be in the lymphatic drainage area. I’ve had bowel changes last couple of months, blood & mucous in stools/constipation/lower back pain/stomach cramps. Often feel like I’ve not emptied bowels fully and have discomfort when passing wind..Never had bowel problems ever. I’ve been examined twice and the drs have ruled out haemorrhoids. I’m due a blood test on 7th and had a positive FIT test so I’m due a colonoscopy on 12th. I’m driving myself crazy with Google and thinking the absolute worst. I am 46 so thinking I’m possibly going through the change but could this be an on/off fever? It’s driving me mad 😞 can anyone relate to my symptoms at all? I joined a bowel/bladder group on Fb with over 8000 members, I watched ppl post and there was lots of support/replies to ppl - until my post :( I listed my symptoms and I received 8 ‘caring’ emojis. I’m so worried.. Thank you so much in advance and thank you for reading :x:

hev

@lizsm28
I would never tell anyone what to do but please avoid Google.
Before joining this forum I often goggled when at low points in last few months- often info is inaccurate and wrong
The waiting is horrible but it will be better one you have had colonoscopy and know what is going on- good luck :x:

Lirio345

Good morning @lizsm28, a very warm welcome to the forum although I am so sorry to hear what a horrible time you are having.

It does sound as if your GP is listening to you which is great, and the colonoscopy on 12th will hopefully help to establish what is going on. The problem wit your symptoms (excluding the abscess), is that they can be caused by all manner of bowel conditions which makes this very hard period of waiting even more difficult particularly if you are googling widely.

Bowel cancer symptoms vary enormously from one person to another so that doesn’t help either does it?

I suspect the reason that you got 8 caring emojis on the other site is that people don’t know what to say to you at this stage. Everyone on here has been through the waiting for tests, results and diagnosis stage and understands how very difficult it is. However obviously only medical professionals can diagnose and the only way to cope with the waiting is to try to keep busy and tick off one day at a time - easy for me to say I know ☹️.

I am sorry that I cannot be more specific, but please stay in touch and let us know how you get on. Take care, Kim :x::x:

lizsm28

Thank you so much @Lirio345: I appreciate your response more than you know! Finally someone has spoken to me lol - And put my mind at rest (for now!) that is all I wanted to be honest, the lack of response as I mentioned from the fb group, was really worrying me, I more or less wrote myself off! I echo everything that you’ve said and I would probably advise the same to someone in my situation. Time will tell and I’ll let the professionals do their thing! Thank you again so much, I really really appreciate it :x::x::x:

Quote from @Lirio345:
Good morning @lizsm28, a very warm welcome to the forum although I am so sorry to hear what a horrible time you are having.

It does sound as if your GP is listening to you which is great, and the colonoscopy on 12th will hopefully help to establish what is going on. The problem wit your symptoms (excluding the abscess), is that they can be caused by all manner of bowel conditions which makes this very hard period of waiting even more difficult particularly if you are googling widely.

Bowel cancer symptoms vary enormously from one person to another so that doesn’t help either does it?

I suspect the reason that you got 8 caring emojis on the other site is that people don’t know what to say to you at this stage. Everyone on here has been through the waiting for tests, results and diagnosis stage and understands how very difficult it is. However obviously only medical professionals can diagnose and the only way to cope with the waiting is to try to keep busy and tick off one day at a time - easy for me to say I know ☹️.

I am sorry that I cannot be more specific, but please stay in touch and let us know how you get on. Take care, Kim

lizsm28

Thank you so much for your response @hev:
I know you’re so right but we can’t help it can we? Bring back the times without the internet eh?! 😂
Yeah the waiting isn’t nice but I’m lucky I don’t have long to wait as the dr told me when you get a positive FIT test, they try to get you in asap, which is really good. I just wish it was all over and done with because with the symptoms every day it’s difficult to forget what’s going on. 😩
Thank you again for your reply, I really really do appreciate it! Liz :x::x::x:

I would never tell anyone what to do but please avoid Google.
Before joining this forum I often goggled when at low points in last few months- often info is inaccurate and wrong
The waiting is horrible but it will be better one you have had colonoscopy and know what is going on- good luck[/quote]