Just diagnosed

If you've recently been diagnosed with bowel cancer, our website has lots of information to help you understand more and get the support you need.

Dyslexicimp

Keeping it in the family........

My paternal Grandad had BC, he was 90 when he passed away and my surgeon said, it is unlikely its inherited . Having explained my diagnosis to my parents. Dad decided to 'just pop to the doctors' last week as he was having some issues with his bowels and it sounds like he has been for some time.

So, now Papa Smee is going through the same diagnostic process as me and has sworn me to secrecy ! My Mum does not take illness well , I was the rambo child who stitched herself together after accidents as she doesnt do blood or any other bodily fluids! So if Dad gets a diagnosis of BC as well she will be in bits. As will I.

I really dont know what to think about it at the moment, I did tell him he was trying to steal my thunder and beat me to the operating theatre! He is 83 and not in great health so Im not sure how resilient he will be to the process! Still hes made it to 83, so I am probably doing him a dis service!

Blimey this family really needs a break. My husband said hes not buying a lottery ticket as with our luck he will probably pass away the day after a big win!!

Cover me! Im going in! again.......

Helen

Dyslexicimp

Well, the results are in. Dad has Bowel cancer as well. He’s eight weeks behind me in the process. As if things were not stressful enough for me.

That’s Granpa, Dad and me. I’m going to have a chat with my bro, I feel he needs to keep an eye on his body for a while. I’m just a bit lost with it all at the moment 🤦‍♀️

Liz Blakelands

@Dyslexicimp
I'm so sorry that your Dad has been diagnosed with bowel cancer as well. It is a lot to deal with. You may find that your Dad's treatment is quite different to yours, depending on type and where tumour is.

Because of your family having bowel cancer over 3 generations the hospital should test for Lynch syndrome (a blood test). If it is in the family then everyone gets extra screening. They will also test for other genetic variations which make a person more likely to have a tumour.

This is going to be very hard on your Mum, I hope that she surprises you with her resilience.

Please try not to worry about your Mum and Dad, concentrate on getting prepared for your own op, and really try to enjoy each day as it comes, and do somethings you really enjoy.

Have you got an actually date for your op yet?

All the best
Liz :x::x:

Dyslexicimp

Thanks @Liz Blakelands . It’s a bit out of the blue and I only have a week to get things in place for work and home, I’m my mums cleaner and laundry lady as her mobility is poor. Dad does the driving and shopping, so I’m going over. To chat with her on Sunday. See what we can get in place. Internet shopping and a temporary cleaner 👍..

My date is Saturday 30th July for surgery. I’m struggling with passing waste as the tumour is quite large. So I’m ready to evict it!! Going forward I think I’ll only have the energy to get me in recovery at the moment.

Helen

bettyb1987

So sorry to read this @Dyslexicimp , how stressful for you all to be going through it at the same time. I haven't been in this situation myself so I can't offer any specific advice, but I just wanted to send a virtual hug and lots of love your way :x::x::x:

Lizsa

Oh no that really sucks. I'm so sorry to hear this. As Liz says def make sure they do the genetic screening.
Good luck with your surgery try to focus on one thing at a time, moment by moment day by day.
We're all here :x::x:

hev

@Dyslexicimp wishing you all best for 30th
Yes evict that uninvited unwanted guest out!!
Good luck with operation and recovery
I’m 10 weeks post op and can’t believe how far I’ve come- wishing you the same

Sarah_louise1

Oh blimey I am so sorry, what an ordeal for you all to be going through. Sending you all lots of luck & positivity to get through this :x::x::x:

Liz Blakelands

@Dyslexicimp
All the very best for op to tomorrow. Time to give that tumour it's marching orders.
Liz :x::x:

blueskydays

Hi! You sound as if you are having an awful time of it. Just wanted to say best of luck for today's op. It'll be good riddance to bad rubbish! Come on Rambo - you've got this! Wishing you well for a speedy recovery and that you are back doing the dance of victory soon. I'm supporting my Mum too (87) so sending good wishes to your Dad too. They can be so competitive can't they?😏 but thankfully remarkably resilient too. Big hug :x::x: