Stage 4 bowel cancer

You can find information about advanced bowel cancer on our website, including our Treating advanced bowel cancer booklet. You can also join our Living with stage 4 bowel cancer Facebook group.

Lauralou9

Good news

***positive post***

It’s been quite a journey for me - diagnosed in 2019 with tumour in bowel which was removed with surgery and then three months Capox. During this time it turned out I had mets on the liver so first resection in 2020. In follow up scan another met was seen on the liver so had 3 months of Folfiri followed by second liver resection in 2021.

Fast forward another few months and the gift that keeps on giving decided to attack my ovaries with a huge Krukenberg tumour and peri mets. Things looked very poor and prognosis was not good. Luckily an amazing surgeon at Southampton agreed to operate so after another three months of Folfox chemo together with Avastan I had surgery which stripped out everything they could see.

I had scan results today 6 weeks after surgery and for the first time since this journey started I am NED!!!!!!! Can’t quite believe it. Plan going forward is another 3 months of 5FU and Avastan and then rescan to see where we are at.

It’s been a dark journey at times and who knows what the future holds but today we celebrate the win ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️. Sending love to you all :x::x::x::x:

Josianna

What wonderful news, I am over the moon for you. :x::x::x:

rosa123

@Lauralou9 AMAZING!!! Thank you SO much for posting. I am absolutely delighted for you!! And on a selfish level, it also gives me hope, as I have Krukenbergs and peri mets, and hope to one day be operable... I notice you had Avastin... Can I ask if you are KRAS mutant or wild-type? :x::x:

Lauralou9

@rosa123 so far as I know I am neither (unless you have to be one? In which case I don’t know and my Oncologist has never told me!) I was advised that Avastin would be good to add into the mix when he suggested Folfox again. I will be paying for it going forward as well - luckily in Winchester where I have treatment it is not horrendously expensive per round (although still quite enough!)

I had some peri nodules which they stripped out the same time as the ovaries. Interestingly some of the things taken out were just scar tissue so the chemo obviously did it’s job on those bits!

Wishing you loads and loads of luck 🤞🤞❤️❤️

kas52

@Lauralou9.....bravo , keep going , beat the monster . Hugsxxx

Leaguefan

@Lauralou9
Wonderful post, the more the merrier.
NED after all you have been through is excellent news.
👍👍👍🥳🥳🥳

rosa123
Quote from @Lauralou9:
@rosa123 so far as I know I am neither (unless you have to be one? In which case I don’t know and my Oncologist has never told me!) I was advised that Avastin would be good to add into the mix when he suggested Folfox again. I will be paying for it going forward as well - luckily in Winchester where I have treatment it is not horrendously expensive per round (although still quite enough!)

I had some peri nodules which they stripped out the same time as the ovaries. Interestingly some of the things taken out were just scar tissue so the chemo obviously did it’s job on those bits!

Wishing you loads and loads of luck 🤞🤞❤️❤️

I think Avastin is most often used on KRAS-mutant patients, although I've heard of wild-types having it as well. Anyway, that's good it wasn't too horrendously expensive where you are, and that it worked so well! All the best :x::x:

louise28

this is great news @Lauralou9 - long may it continue and is there a plan to come off chemo and keep a close eye?
yes @rosa123 thats what i understood. I'm BRAF/NRAS/KRAS wild type so can have cetux and pani but I was given avastin as in EU its free and my onc's view is the side effects are more manageable than the other targeted therapies. :x::x::x:

blueskydays

After everything you have been through that is truly wonderful news. Congratulations! :x::x:

strongsami

Well done @Lauralou9 ! Excellent news and long may it continue! :x::x::x:

Lauralou9

Thankyou everyone! @louise28 I think we are planning a rescan after the next three months chemo and then if that stays NED we will make a decision then. We are in unchartered territory now as I have never actually had a clear scan since this started so it’s all a bit unknown! :x::x::x:

louise28

brilliant @Lauralou9 thanks for answering my question. hope you dont mind. This is such good news and I am hoping that your scans stay clear :x::x::x:

Lizsa

Fantastic news @Lauralou9 :x::x:

Lee W

Yes! Amazing - so pleased for you :x::x:

Jannine

Hey @Lauralou9 thats fantastic news!! I’ve often thought of how you were getting on as I know things had got tricky for you and I hadn’t seen you on the forum for a while. So glad to hear you’re NED and long may it continue :x::x::x:

KarenE

So pleased to read your positive news @lauralou, best wishes for future NED scans. :x::x::x:

El Ivan

Great to read your news @Lauralou9 :x:

Gula

Fantastic news @Lauralou9!!! Well done!