Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

You can find lots of useful information about bowel cancer treatment on our website. You can also get information and support from our Ask the nurse service.

Tweed

Chemo has started

My husband (Stage 4 bowel now spread to lymph system) has started his treatment of Folfiri via PICC line and pump. Consultant agreed that he can give himself injections to boost white blood count so he gets 4 cycles completed in the hope we can get away for a big birthday celebration. Watch this space.
So far treatment seems OK, he’s a bit tired, skin not great and has some blurred vision. Better than I was expecting but appreciate it’s cumulative so will probably feel knackered by cycle 4.
Good to know you are all there with advice and lots of support.
Thanks

Liz Blakelands

@Tweed
Glad that the treatment has started, I think the wait for the start can be worse than the treatment. Fingers crossed that all goes well and you get away for the big birthday celebration. :x::x:

shellyd

Best of luck :x::x:

Lizsa

Best of luck to him @Tweed and I hope you can go on your birthday trip :x::x:

Ali

Hope all goes well for your husband and you manage to get away for the big birthday celebration. 🤞😘:x::x:

Tweed

Thank you. Cycle one completed and back to RM tomorrow hoping white blood count high enough to press on with cycle 2. Husband had a shitty weekend with all the side affects at once but better since Monday.
I know it’s so hard being a Stage 4 chemo patient but it’s tough too living along side a patient too.
Your support and good wishes are really appreciated. :x:

Liz Blakelands

@Tweed
1 down, 3 to go. So sorry that your husband had a tough weekend.

I do think being a carer or partner of a bowel cancer patient is really tough. There is a special section on the forum which is just for carers which you can ask to join.

Big hug
Liz :x::x:

bettyb1987

Hi @Tweed just wanted to message to send you a virtual hug. I was the patient but I know my partner has found it incredibly difficult throughout this rollercoaster so far. I am glad your husband is feeling a bit better since Monday and all the best for the remaining cycles. All my love Betty :x::x::x:

Tweed

That’s very kind. Virtual hugs always welcome.
Anne :x: