Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

You can find lots of useful information about bowel cancer treatment on our website. You can also get information and support from our Ask the nurse service.

cw1988

Feeling beyond anxious again

Hi, I’ve posted a few questions before but have found myself getting extremely worked up recently as it’s nearly the first scan for my husband after treatment , it’s so bad I’m actually coming out in hives!
Very quick background, my husband last year at 35 was diagnosed with stage 1 rectal cancer. Scans all seemed reassuring so he was offered TEMS surgery rather than major surgery. All seemed to go well and the margins where clear BUT it was poorly differentiated (always has to be a but).
Surgeon offered bigger surgery and we also spoke about radiotherapy but after long conversations and the possible side effects, he decided for surveillance instead. The surgeon said because of the grade 3 cells it was basically a 15% chance of spread through the lymph nodes but 85% it hadn’t.
His first scan is 20th August , he’s feeling tired all the time and now saying he’s sure it’s back (no bleeding or other symptoms he had before… he also has a broken wrist and is currently off work and doing nothing), I’ve worked myself up , back onto Doctor Google again and finding no good outcomes from poorly differentiated cells.
I decided to do the sensible thing and come on here to see if I can gain any advice before I loose my marbles all together :x:

Baxter2

Good morning @cw1988,

Oh the dreaded scanxiety! It's just horrible and I can tell you from experience, it doesn't seem to get any easier! You simply can't second guess what it will show but until you know, worrying won't change a single thing. What it will do is ruin the next few weeks by dominating your thoughts. It is hard but try to work really hard at reducing your stress levels in whatever way you find helpful. For many, keeping busy and distracted is the best way as well as planning a few wee treats to look forward to. Check out what's on offer from Penny Brohn (cancer charity) They offer lots of holistic support online and I'd highly recommend you take a look and see if anything there seems worth trying out. We're all right here for you both and completely get the whole 'scanxiety' thing!

Sending lots of love to you both and fingers tightly crossed!

Karen 🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

Liz Blakelands

@cw1988 Hi so sorry the scanxiety is getting to you. Karen has given some very good advice above. We all get it. I try to keep busy and banish it from my mind.

The tiredness is probably due to the broken wrist. When you break a wrist bone you loose about a pint of blood and then your body has to mend the bone as well. And it takes a lot of work by your body. I broke my wrist when I was about 50 and can remember being really surprise how tired I was for a few weeks. Not to mention how frustrating it is when you can't do simple 2 handed things.

Big hug and fingers crossed
Liz :x::x:

cw1988

Thank you Karen, I hoped I would be able to keep myself calm until at least a few days before but its started already. I’m waiting for CBT as from the start of this my anxiety has been dreadful :x::x:

Quote from @Baxter2:
Good morning @cw1988,

Oh the dreaded scanxiety! It's just horrible and I can tell you from experience, it doesn't seem to get any easier! You simply can't second guess what it will show but until you know, worrying won't change a single thing. What it will do is ruin the next few weeks by dominating your thoughts. It is hard but try to work really hard at reducing your stress levels in whatever way you find he,Paul. For many, keeping busy and distracted is the best way as well as planning a few wee treats to look forward to. Check out what's on offer from Penny Brohn (cancer charity) They offer lots of holistic support online and I'd highly recommend you take a look and see if anything there seems worth trying out. We're all right here for you both and completely get the whole 'scanxiety' thing!

Sending lots of love to you both and fingers tightly crossed!

Karen 🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

cw1988

Thank you Liz, I had no idea about the blood loss with broken bones so that’s some new knowledge for me but certainly would explain the tiredness :x::x:

Quote from @Liz Blakelands:
@cw1988 Hi so sorry the scanxiety is getting to you. Karen has given some very good advice above. We all get it. I try to keep busy and banish it from my mind.

The tiredness is probably due to the broken wrist. When you break a wrist bone you loose about a pint of blood and then your body has to mend the bone as well. And it takes a lot of work by your body. I broke my wrist when I was about 50 and can remember being really surprise how tired I was for a few weeks. Not to mention how frustrating it is when you can't do simple 2 handed things.

Big hug and fingers crossed
Liz