Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

You can find lots of useful information about bowel cancer treatment on our website. You can also get information and support from our Ask the nurse service.

kiwi mel

Chemo or not

Hi, I had a resection 3 1/2 weeks ago, got results back T3 30 lymph nodes clear, the only question mark is traces in bleed vessels so have been referred to a oncologist. No concept of what to expect , am I likely to need chemo?if do what type how many cycles. I have a holiday booked for end of Sept how quickly do you start after seeing the oncologist, appointment is 30th Aug, any advice would be grateful received

Lizsa

Hi @kiwi mel .you sound same as me. I had resection 7 weeks ago. Also T3, 21 lymph nodes all clear but they found in blood vessel. I just saw oncologist yesterday and recommendation is 6 month Capecitabine tablets. They said I didn't need the IV chemo which I'm quite relieved about. They said 6 months of the chemo tablets is NICE guidance for our diagnosis so I'm guessing you'll be offered the same. I have asked if I can start when I get back from holiday in just over 2 weeks. They agreed to that but I don't think they like to wait too long, I think they have a timeframe after resection, but that's something perhaps you could ask one of your team.
Let me know if you want a chemo buddy when you start and we can share notes :) good luck

kiwi mel

Thank you for your reply, Chemo buddy would be a great idea. Are you managing any normality? It will be interesting to see what they have to say?
Did they give you a choices?

Lizsa

I haven't started chemo yet and recovered well from surgery now so yeah feeling pretty normal at the moment. I'm very nervous s out starting the chemo in 2 weeks. They only choice was 6 months tablets or not have it at all. They strongly recommend the chemo.
Good luck.:x:

Jane39

Hi @kiwi mel
Sorry that you’ve had this news following your surgery.
I have attached a charity publication that may be helpful for your consultation regarding treatment plan and questions to ask.

I believe the general time frame for starting chemo post surgery is 6 weeks but there does appear some variations on this.

Good luck with your appointment,
Jane :x:

bowelcancerorguk.s3.amazonaws.com/...kAboutTreatment_BowelCancerUK.pdf

Lizsa

When I start my mop up chemo it will be 9.5 weeks post surgery.my oncologist is happy with this. I was worried it had to be by 8 weeks.