Younger people with bowel cancer

Chris82

Hello (...and updates from Chris82)

I just wanted to introduce myself.

I'm 32 (and male) and was diagnosed three and half weeks ago. The cancer has spread both to my liver (two places) and there are multiple deposits in the peritoneum. My oncologist has indicated an 'average' life expectancy of 2-3 years but has warned me that I could only have 6-9 months if I don't respond to treatment.

I'd been experiencing what I thought was IBS (mainly discomfort that has come and gone - it all still seems very mild) for about 7 months and had been to the doctor a few times. I was only recently referred for a colonoscopy after some blood tests showed the inflammation.

There isn't any surgical option at this point, unless it's necessary as an emergency due to blockage, which miraculously has not happened yet. I've so far had one cycle of FOLFOX and Avastin just over a week ago, with no major side effects so far. I barely have any symptoms at all right now in fact.

Obviously the whole thing has come as a massive shock. I only got married two months ago. My husband, family and friends are all being amazing and I think I'm coping well. But I also lack any connections with other people in a similar position, especially of my age - so I thought I would at least say hello (before I go to bed).

terri m

Great news for you . xx👍

Carrie

Wow! Fabulous news. Well done @Chris82 . C.:x:

Ninatoo

Congratulations!

Lirio345

Terrific news @Chris82! Kim :x::x:

Cathy13

That's wonderful @Chris82! :) :x::x:

jj

Great news @Chris82 . Just continue to do what your are, it’s working for you. It’s always good to hear good news, so thank you for sharing.
Stay well

kdan

@Chris82 great update. Super news for you & brilliant encouragement to extend our hope! Thank you for sharing!

Clancy

Really good news @ Chris82, :x::x:

Baxter2

Chris, you're such a great role model on here and in life! I think you were the first person I messaged when I joined the forum.........about HIPEC!

Keep up the great work! Amazing!

Lots of love

Karen 💜💛💙❤️💚

KarenE

Brilliant news @Chris82 :x::x:

Dan-888
Quote from @Chris82:
Hello. Some good news to share!

No signs of active disease, the first time since 2016 this has been the case.

It will be 5 years since my diagnosis next month.

Such INCREDIBLE NEWS! Thank you for sharing, @Chris82 !
And long may it remain so!

Smiley2

Just popped by after a couple of years! FAB news @Chris82! :x::x::x::x::x::x:

Michele

@Chris82 , just popped in and saw your fantastic news. Well done and long may it continue :):):)

SarahB

Hi Chris- this gives me hope. I’m a 35 year old lady who was diagnosed with metastatic colon cancer two months ago, and have been told I have only months to live. When I read your PET scan result at 5 years post diagnosis I burst into tears. I hope I also live for years, and would love to get to a point where the cancer is not active. Do you have any advice on how to prolong survival? Crazy question, I know, but desperate times call for desperate measures!

Lirio345

Hi @SarahB, if you tag Chris he will know that you have left this message for him. To tag just put @ in front of their user name, no gap at the start ....... so @Chris82, I hope this helps, Kim :x:

Lizalou

Great update thanks @Chris82. And 'hello' @Smiley2 . Best wishes to you both :x::x:

lilmil

Fantastic news and so good to hear it @Chris82 😘👏👏💜💜

DianeS

Fabulous news @Chris82 so pleased for you and thanks for sharing :x::x::x::x:

Chris82

Thanks everyone, good to see some familiar names here after some time away!
@SarahB I’m really pleased my story can give you a little bit of hope. It’s tough, but I’ve been lucky and the honest answer is I can’t really give much in the way of advice. What I would say is to whatever extent you can, have new things going on in your life that aren’t cancer.

John2628

Good luck @Chris82 and @charleyb with those scan results. Please God it’s good news all the way :x::x::x::x::x: