Younger people with bowel cancer

Ben81

Good Morning!

Hi,

I've been reading the forum for a while now and thought I should introduce myself.....

I was diagnosed with stage 4 rectal cancer last August and subsequently underwent 5 weeks Chemo/Radiotherapy to get the primary tumor under control. In December last year I underwent a liver resection during which 5 tumors were removed. The op was successful and achieved clear margins but I did end up with a nasty bile leak resulting in a 16 day hospital stay (A bile drain and endoscopy to place a stent sorted it out in the end). Having recovered from that I had an Abdominoperineal Resection 8 weeks ago to remove the rectal tumor. Again the op was a success and achieved clear margins. 3/22 lymph nodes were involved and there was evidence of vascular invasion. The end staging was T2N1M1.

I've got a permanent colostomy as a result of this op but look at that as a small price to pay if they have been able to give me a chance of beating this thing. Unfortunately there was also some bladder nerve damage and I currently have to self-catheterize to urinate. I'm told this may also be permanent but only time will tell!

I've just completed round 1 of 8 Capox sessions lined up over the next six months and am feeling pretty good all things considered. I've had a post op CT scan and am awaiting the results. Hopefully all clear and i can get on with the business of completing the chemo regime.

I've found reading about everyone's stories and experiences immensely helpful since I was diagnosed and was much better prepared for what was coming as a result.

I'm now concentrating my efforts on maintaining my fitness as much as possible during chemo and have been pleased to be able to get back in the gym over the last fortnight (even if I can't use the exercise bikes just yet). I thought that having benefitted so much from all your advice I should add my experiences to the forum and hopefully be of some help to anyone else about to tackle these challenges themselves.

All the best,

Ben

mem

You will @Ben81 I'm sure of it. It's this waiting and the thinking of all sorts lark that's hard work isn't it!? Will have my fingers tightly crossed for you and sending love :x::x:

Ben81

Morning everyone, just wanted to say thanks again for all your supportive messages. I was able to get hold of the hospital yesterday and they confirmed that the mass they were looking at was not active on the PET scan and confirmed it is just fibrosis. To say I was relieved would be an understatement. Having had loads of scans now I would have thought this process would get easier but it never really does and the stakes are always high. Hope you all have a great Easter weekend, I know mine will be much easier to enjoy with this news. All the best, Ben. :)

Bear G

Great news @Ben81
Happy Easter!
:x::x:

jinnyp

Thatโ€™s excellent news @Ben81 - enjoy Easter weekend!! :x::x:

Polly 1

Absolutely wonderful news @Ben81 :x:

charleyb

Brilliant news @Ben81, hoping my hubby can follow in your footsteps :x::x:

Polly68

Fantastic news @Ben81 - I had mediastinal lymphs that glowed on a PET CT but have turned out to be inflammation, no scans are infallible ๐Ÿ˜Š :x::x::x:

mem

Great news @Ben81. Have a lovely Easter weekend โ˜บ๏ธ:x::x:

CD1966

Fabulous news @Ben81 !

Clancy

So relieved for you @Ben81.:x::x:

GD62

Marvellous news @Ben81 :x::x::x:

Alwyn

Great news @Ben81 very happy for you. :x:

Baxter2

Fantastic news @Ben81 !

Happy Easter!

K๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’›โค๏ธ

El Ivan

Brilliant news @Ben81 ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

palace1960

Thatโ€™s great news @Ben81 - enjoy the rest of the Easter hols - cheers Ron

Rach

@Ben81 thatโ€™s fab news :x::x:

Lizalou

Really pleased for you @Ben81 .It's great that we have these scans but frustrating when they cause such worry. :x:

Michele

Happy Easter @Ben81, that is fantastic news :x::x:

Globerry

Great news @ Ben 81 :x::x::x:

Sean

Excellent news mate! Im well up for this xmas paddle btw! Take care.:x: